• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First season?

tracey30

Not really sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not, so feel free to move if I'm not lol. We returned from a 6 night break on Friday, ruby my 61/2 month cav stayed at the kennels in this time. Since yesterday we've noticed spots of blood when she's got up from sitting down, I'm presuming this is her first season and I'm now panicking! I had fully intended to ring the vets 2nrw to get her booked in to be spayed and obviously now we're going to have to wait, I have absolutely no experience of heat/seasons and so I'm now obviously panicking a bit so any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance
Tracey

You need to know that the bleeding is the first phase, that will stop, but she will remain fertile for up to 2 weeks afterwards. A total of about 21 days (bleeding plus after) is considered potential pregnancy time.

Second, personally I think it's best to have them go through a heat before spaying, so no concerns about having waited.

Don't let her outside unattended, even for a moment; miscreant male dogs will leap fences before you know what's going on.

Even if she's normally reliable off leash for walks, absolutely not while she's in heat.

No dog parks.

You have to police her, she is not going to resist.

Once she's out of heat book an appointment to spay, you try to aim for midway between heats (heats typically occur every six months). So maybe around September?

Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance, so is it still ok to talk her for walks so long as she's on her lead and we stick to places where there arentt many dogs?

Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance, so is it still ok to talk her for walks so long as she's on her lead and we stick to places where there arentt many dogs?

You may be best to go only where you know for sure that any other dogs will be on a lead.

It is no fun trying to lift and carry an in season female while a persistent and eager male is jumping up at you trying to get to her.

Thanks for the reply Margaret, maybe it would just be best to keep her in to save spending the whole time worrying, I'm angry with myself for not getting her spayed sooner!

Tracey

I would suggest you keep her in your house and in your yard, supervised, for the duration. Owners of male dogs (neutered and intact) don't appreciate having to haul their dogs away from females in heat. In-heat females just stir up everything in dog society and everyone behaves differently. you might call your vet, too, and get his/her opinion on how to proceed and how soon to book the surgery. As someone mentioned many dog people prefer to have their females experience one full heat before neutering, so don't be too upset. Just let her get preggers! :)

I would suggest you keep her in your house and in your yard, supervised, for the duration. Owners of male dogs (neutered and intact) don't appreciate having to haul their dogs away from females in heat. In-heat females just stir up everything in dog society and everyone behaves differently. you might call your vet, too, and get his/her opinion on how to proceed and how soon to book the surgery. As someone mentioned many dog people prefer to have their females experience one full heat before neutering, so don't be too upset. Just let her get preggers! :)

Did you mean just DONT let her get pregnant :?

In a perfect world yes stay in your own yard area whilst she's in season but not everyone has that option Emkaybee-owners of male dogs may not appreciate having to haul their dogs away & having an in heat female "stir up everything up in dog society"!! If you have no choice but to take your girl out,like myself when each of my girls had 1 season each,pre spay, i only took them out on lead to onlead areas for short walks at unsociable times but still there would be a male dog owner(once) who had his boy off lead miles ahead of him who made a beeline for her,of course he did thats life! Easily sorted by me picking my girl up until the owner strolled over,quick explanation from me,male dog back on his lead,no harm done :)

Tracy30 your vet will advise as to best time to spay, as othershave said its normally about halfway between seasons,if i recall correctly i just told them the date of the first day & they told me when. I hope you are going on ok & not having any problems keeping the boys away

Thanks tupup, we've spoken with our vets and they also said to wait 3 months so she's booked in for late September, the vet also suggested that she would still need her exercise so it was fine to walk her as long as we were alert and aware of other dogs. I have tried to limit her to the garden but it hasn't been easy, she LOVES her walks and has spent half the time scratching and barking at the door, so the hubby had taken her on a couple of short walks, late at night. She seems to be coping with it quite well apart from missing her walks, and so far we havent had any boys beating down the door lol

Tracey

Back