Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: But I'm not ready to board Fletcher....

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Melissa... what an interesting story. My thoughts, I would not sneak the dog into the residence; there are rules which she cares enough to communicate out to everyone and passionately wants followed. I would kindly state the situation, offer her the choice and then stay in a dog friendly place - either hers or one nearby. Honesty works best and will keep you out of any hot water with the family!
    Noelle, B.B., & Tucker

Post Thanks / Like

If Fletcher has a good Cavalier temperament - happy and friendly - my experience is that he will have a ball staying with your vet - twist him/her round his little paw in 5 minutes flat, get spoilt rotten, love playing with any other dogs, and probably not pine for you at all. That's what Oliver has done on the rare occasions I've had to board him in our local kennels. It may bolster our egos to think our dog will refuse to eat and be thoroughly miserable away from us, but it doesn't happen very often and it's a real plus that most Cavaliers are so adaptable. My two would have no problem with the porch either - if I produce their travelling crate (a fabric pop-up one) they settle down anywhere.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Melissa, where down south are you going to be. You can always stop in and Fletcher can stay with Henry for a few days . Plus, it will give you an excuse to visit the beach and maybe golf a bit, lol.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shari. Its near Hartsville I think....I'm not going tho so no prob. My father-in-law put his foot down, he had some health problems over the winter and cannot really do the labor this year so he raised holy h____ about Grandmother and her birthday (free labor) weekends. Hey, I agree I know she's family and old but I really can't stand her. If she was 150 years old them maybe I would understand she was raised in a different world but she's not......you'd understand if you have lived in the south for a long time. Raised in the "old ways" or not its 2012. I do not need outdated advice about raising my children, her 2 cents about how a wife "should" be, and weather or not she thinks my husband is not "manly enough" because he actually cares for our children or her rude comments about my older 2 children not being "kin". I hate to say it but because of all of this I normally have to endure I do not think we will be visiting her again. Respect or not...........

So due to my father-in-law not going to protest his own Mother we were ordered not to go either I have arranged for a huge flower arrangement to arrive and I sent her a wonderful birthday gift and a hand written note wishing her a happy birthday.

Thanks for the offer tho I know I will be boarding Fletcher at some point, since I have a Disney addicted family, they warship a mouse but no dogs allowed!!!!

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Melissa, that's a shame with the "southern mentality". Hartsville is around 90 minutes from me, and he's always welcome here, there's a spot on the couch for him always!
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you even wanna come up to Va. let me know I would happily spoil your guy for a few days too.

Melissa