Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sophie's coat grows in an odd direction (?)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sophie's coat grows in an odd direction (?)

Sophie's coat looks different from every other Cavalier I have seen, in real life and in photos. I always blow dry and brush with the direction her coat grows, but it always looks as if she has been blow-dried from the tail toward the head.

Would any of you know why her coat does this? Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Cavaliers or dogs are like people....some are "blessed" with cowlicks or weird hair. My son the 12 yr old is growing his hair out to have "cool kid hair" he's been blessed with really thick hair. Now to me he looks like a fuzzy head

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    Sophie's coat looks different from every other Cavalier I have seen, in real life and in photos. I always blow dry and brush with the direction her coat grows, but it always looks as if she has been blow-dried from the tail toward the head.

Would any of you know why her coat does this? Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Waldor.... maybe she just prefers the "punk" look !
    No..seriously.. I really wouldn't know unless like Melissa said..it is just a cowlick like some people have.
    Whatever the reason...she is quite beautiful..regardless of how her hair grows!
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sometimes it is an indication that something is wrong in that area - muscle tension or similar. Does Sophie have any health issues? Sorry I can't remember.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Does Sophie have any health issues?
    That is a good question. Her only known health issues are food and environmental allergies, and she has always had the allergies from puppy stage when we bought her at 15-weeks of age.

I looked at her puppy pictures, and her coat lays flat in all of them. In pictures from when she was eighteen months old, most of it lays flat and some of it is starting to curl back toward her head. No health changes at that time. She always gets a clean bill of health at her annual veterinarian checkups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hopefully it's not that then, maybe something to do with the allergies? In Tellington Touch it is understood that patterns in the hair indicate underlying problems. When my McTimoney chiropractor comes we notice that Kayleigh's coat lies flat after a treatment [from the middle of the back onwards] Around her neck it always stands up, something I have noticed with previous dogs . PLEASE don't think I am saying that that is her problem, would be interested in other's comments on this.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Copper deficiency can cause a kinking of the hair. Possibly others vitamins and minerals as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Waldor...Soushiruiuma & Nicki are probably better judges at answering this..as I mentioned I have no idea.
    But when we had our Golden retreiver..he too had hair that went different directions on his back.
    Since we didn't "show" him..it was no big deal to us. We knew he was healthy. He lived till the age of 12 before he developed cancer & passed over rainbow bridge around 8 mo.'s ago.
    Anyway..we were told that some golden retreivers bloodline's were bred to have what is called a "field" coat..while others have the long "show" coat. Ours had the long hair ...but it just sort of did it's thing so to speak.
    I don't know if perhaps that has anything to do w/ Cavaliers??..but perhaps somewhere down the line?
    After all..they were also bred for hunting/field purposes ages ago.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Bentley's can be a little like that, he has areas that won't lie flat, he has more of a course wavyish coat than a long drapey coat. His is still not at its full length yet. he will be a year on the 21st

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Cambridge has a similiar coat. Sometimes it sticks out more then others. It just seems a bit curly to me. Humidity seems to effect it and as he is getting older, and longer coat, it is not quite so unruly. A good conditioner after his bath helps a lot too.