Thread: Strange Shaking Behavior

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strange Shaking Behavior

Charlie is a 2 year old male and has been a special addition to the family (me thinks; wife doesn't) but he exhibits this strange shaking behavior. Whenever he gets up from lying, he shakes as if he is been soaking in a pool. Kind of like a Retriever exiting a lake or pond. With all of his metal tags on his collar, it can be quite noisy.

Is this normal or just a harmless quirk?
    Tim

"May you live as long as you want, and may you not want as long as you live"....an Irish Blessing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think it sounds abnormal. He's just shaking like he's getting water off?

You can put rubber around his tags to make it less noisy. Google "dog tag silencer", you should get choices for various shapes and colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Our Wrigley will do a little bit of a shake after he has been petted for awhile. I think he does it because the sensation has stimulated his muscles & nerves..sort of like a massage does w/ us. Or when we wake from a nap..we sometimes want to stretch. This is only a guess. Unless your Charlie is doing this for long periods at a time.. I wouldn't worry. Shaking & trembling/quivering are two different issues. If it is the latter..perhaps you should call your Vet.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher does this weird stretching things when he wakes up, it really looks like yoga moves, as a matter of fact that's what I call them I think its probably normal.

My beagle used to alert the house shaking his tags like that every morning, it was annoying, but after he passed I sure do miss that sound.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

If your talking about shaking as a dog would get water off sort of shake vs. A tremble type shaking, then yeah, our Brooky does the same thing when she wakes...almost as if she is stimulating her body to "get up"! It's that same shake she gives post bath/swim.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all. Charlie is definitely not quivering, he just appears to be shaking (non-existent) water off of him. Other than that, he's always the same energetic and loveable guy that I brought home from the breeder 2 years ago.

I guess that he is my surogate son after the other three all grew up.

Thanks again for your insights.
    Tim

"May you live as long as you want, and may you not want as long as you live"....an Irish Blessing

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my girls do that. We call it the whole body shake. Riley, who has SM, will sometimes knock herself over when she does it. Oddly enough, neither of my boys do it.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Tim

Agree with all the replies ,my Lily does something very similar .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

My little Ollie does this, as you say it`s as if they are shaking off water, my oldest cavalier has never done this shaking, but he is much shorter haired, although this probably has nothing to do with it.
    Pam

and my two special boys Jasper age 13 and Ollie age 3.