Thread: Here is the report from AHT on episodic falling and curly-coat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Here is the report from AHT on episodic falling and curly-coat

Here is the report from AHT on episodic falling and curly-coat.

Frequency of two disease-associated mutations in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, June 2012. Animal Health Trust. http://www.cavalierhealth.org/images..._june_2012.pdf
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

EFS is much more prevalent in whole colors. Was that previously known/suspected?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soushiruiuma View Post
    EFS is much more prevalent in whole colors. Was that previously known/suspected?
    It was rumored to be so. This genetic test will be very helpful for the cavalier breed as a whole and I am very glad to see many breeders are stepping up and getting their breeding stock tested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've always suspected both EFS and epilepsy are more common in wholecolours. Almost all the dogs i know of with either over the years have been rubies. Entirely anecdotal of course but has always seemed strange.

The rate for affected wholecolours is quite hight at about 5% though -- 1 in 20 wholecolours will actually have EFS. So testing breeding stock is really important for the breed. Interesting that there is little difference between breeder dogs and random dogs, mostly without KC affix, on affectedness as well. I would guess -- as has long been argued -- that this is true too for pretty much any widespread health issue in the breed -- SM, MVD, etc if dogs aren't tested/protocols followed. It would be useful to repeat this study in 5 years and see if rates have dropped (as they should amongst KC breeders who should all be testing). Breeders have a good chance of eliminating this condition in their lines within a few generations if they test.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Really sad to read these results - 1 in 20 is a dreadful thought. these issues are more prevalent than I think many people expected. It's really good that we have this study now though, and I agree with Karlin, it would be very useful to repeat it in 5 years and see if the incidence has decreased as obviously breeders now have the opportunity to eradicate or at the very least, greatly reduce the incidence of these distressing conditions.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org