• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daily Recipes for raw food for cavalier & newbie owner please !

Valentina

Hi, I've started moving Maisie over to raw food. She is a very fussy eater & when adopted by me, was eating royal canin with a bit of Cesar on the top. Before that she was eating chicken & rice.

Her teeth have a bit of plaque on them, probably from the chicken & rice & I've come to the conclusion she'd benefit from raw food.

At the mo she eats 1 chicken wing after morning walk, she may have a tripe stick after the afternoon walk & then I am using up the rest of the royal canin, which is only eats if she is starving. If she had her way I believe she'd live on toast & biscuits !

I'd like to have her eating raw always but am concerned at ensuring she has a balanced diet & would like to know if there are any cav raw feeders who wouldn't mind sending me their feeding schedules ?

I'm also not sure whether to feed raw beef/lamb...?

Thanks in advance !

If you want to get a balanced diet, I'd suggest buying a commercial frozen or fresh raw diet as these are widely available. I'd be cautious of using other's diets or what is out on the internet as many of these are not nutritionally complete and there can be real problems in throwing in lots of supplements in an uninformed way, which can counteract each other, leaving the dog worse off that not adding supplements. There are some good books and pamphlets available on feeding raw and I'd use one of these as they are generally developed by people who actually understand canine nutrition.

Monica Segal (www.monicasegal.com) does a panphlet sepcifically on raw and cooked diets for dogs and on cavaliers, too. She also has a good newsletter and discussion group.

You will get plaque with any food -- I have fed raw and it does not prevent plaque though good chews or raw meaty bones will help clean teeth to some degree (the latter DO have risks however and I do know of deaths from same).

Generally you never feed a single meat source.

I feed the frozen nuggets from Primal. I don't know where you live so don't know if you can get it. I nugget equals one ounce of food. It's so easy. I take out however many nuggets I need the night before and put them in the fridge to defrost and they're ready for breakfast in the morning. Only one of my dogs is on raw. The rest get kibble. The ingredients are great. You can see them on www.primalpetfoods.com Oz loves them. I do give some dental chews from Tartar Shield that their veterinary dentist recommended to help clean their teeth and cut down on plaque.

In Ireland, Nature's Menu is now widely available and I feed that to dogs and cats. Also I feed NatureDiet (different brand -- confusing!) cooked meals. In the UK a number of raw diets are available (as in most countries).

thanks - I am in the UK. I'm concerned about getting the balance right & have looked into the natures menu, but been advised that it has potato in, or one of the varieties does.

Maisie hated NatureDiet : - /

Hi

I have been feeding my girls a raw diet for the last four years and they seem happy with it .It is a mix of selected human grade
meats ,veggies and fruit and I also supplement a few things to ensure they get what they should .
Best Wishes
Brian

PS do lots of reasearch before you start there are some good books on the subject .I also find it very expensive to pre made
and very time consuming but I love doing as I know they are getting nothing but the best produce available and it is all fresh
meat and organic vegs and fruit . Good Luck pls let us know how you get on .

Hi, I use Honeys frozen raw food www.honeysrealdogfood.com it contains 60% meat 30% vegetable and 10% bone. If you don't want to buy the food they have written a really good book full of recipes and some advice. If you e mail me I have a spare copy. I am also looking at www.naturalinstinct.com. If nothing else both websites are interesting and give good some great tips. I give my dogs raw meaty lollipop bones and neem sticks to help keep their teeth and gums healthy. I used to give chicken wings which is great if the dog chews them but my Molly thought she would try and swallow one whole, I think she wanted to see the shocked expression on my face:confused:

[email protected]

Back