Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spangle not well at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Christine
    We all panic when something goes wrong with one of our babies just so good that Spangle is better .Last year a big bumbly got got up in Daisy's
    draws but I managed to extracate him with now harm to either and DD does have a heavy thick coat so I felt more sorry for the bee but now when Daisy
    spots one she looks then backs off thankfully.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Spangly. I'm glad Spangle is feeling better this evening, let's hope that's the end of the drama for her.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

glad to hear spangle is ok, i understand how you must have felt, if only they could talk, you just have to go by there behaviour, i find with ruby whe shes not feeling well she will look for a retreat somewhere where she feels secure. Big hugs and kisses

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear she is on the mend. Perhaps there's something you could give her in the future if you suspect she's been stung? Benadryl or similar? Might be good to ask the vet. That way she might avoid a ad reaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please be careful with Benadryl:

In the United States and Canada, Benadryl products contain the first-generation antihistamine diphenhydramine. Diphenhydramine is used as an allergy treatment in various forms around the world. It is an H1 receptor antagonist. Antagonism is achieved through blocking the effect of histamine more than blocking its production or release. Diphenhydramine inhibits most responses of smooth muscle to histamine and acts as a vasoconstrictor by inhibiting the vasodilator effects of histamine. The antagonism may also produce anticholinergic effects, antiemetic effects, and significant sedative side effects.

In the United Kingdom, Benadryl products contain either the second-generation non-sedating antihistamine acrivastine (marketed as Benadryl Allergy Relief, with a suggested efficacy duration of eight hours) or the non-sedating antihistamine cetirizine (marketed as Benadryl One a Day Relief). Cetirizine is indicated for the relief of symptoms associated with allergy and hives. It is an orally active and selective H1 receptor antagonist.

I can't find anything to indicate if acrivastine and cetirizine are safe for dogs

In the UK you can obtain diphenhydramine only as Nytol [sleep aid] from a pharmacy, 50mg per tablet.

Piriton contains Chlorpheniramine maleate and is safe for dogs - would need to check dose with a vet though.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    so sorry to read about spangles hope she has a speedy recovery
    sending kisses and cuddles to spangles from louie and his mum

Post Thanks / Like

Just reading this now. God you must have had such a fright. I am so glad things have settled down now and Spangles feels better.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering how Spangle is doing?
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    so pleased to read spangle is alot better

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for asking about how Spangle is doing. She is quite well at the moment. I don't think it was an insect sting. I just think it was her SM symptoms being much worse than usual.
    That's one of the main problems though as many people have said before, you just don't know whether it is SM or something different! It is so hard to know what to do sometimes. I feel a bit like I rush to the vet too quickly sometimes, but I'd rather do that than risk Spangle having to go through more pain.
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.