• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spangle not well at all!

Spangly

I took Spangle for a short walk this morning and noticed that she was bothered by her back leg, when I looked closely I spotted a small bee trapped in her fur.
I managed to free it and we continued our walk.
When we got home Spangle started to show signs of distress. I checked for a bee sting but could find nothing, she was rubbing her head violently into the sofa, along the floor everywhere. Then she ran upstairs and hid in a spare bedroom under a dressing table. She was in pain so I asked a neighbour to drive me to the vets. (My sister usually takes me but she was out).
The vet thinks that it may be that she was stung but that it then triggered off her SM symptoms. Her gave her an anti inflammatory injection and supply of tablets for a week. When we got back home she went into the garden and was very sick!

She finally got to sleep about 11.50 and didn't move until 12 .40 when my husband returned.
She welcomed him home and then started rubbing her face again.
She has now finally gone to sleep again but will only if she can go underneath the desk in the study (somewhere she never sleeps.
We may be back to the vets again tonight!

I forgot to say that the tablets are cimalgex. She hasn't moved from that one spot in the study. I am so worried about her.

:hug:Oh I'm sorry. Who would think a simple bee sting could cause a flare up of her SM? There are so many worries with cavalier illnesses. I hope you get her all fixed up and out of pain as quickly as possible. If you think she's still hurting I would have her back to the vet ASAP. Keep us posted and I hope she is fine soon.

Melissa

Hello Christine,

Poor Spangle. You must be worried sick. This is what happened when Tommy had a flare up of pancreatitis. It made the SM symptoms worse and he was taking himself off to sleep behind chairs and under tables, something he never does normally.

I hope she soon feels better.

I'm sorry to hear Spangle isn't well. Please let us know how she is. Take care of yourself, I know how upsetting these situations are :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear about Spangle. I was interested to hear about where she went to get comfortable though - Margaret's Tommy also. When Riley is uncomfortable with her SM, she goes under tables and chairs or under the desk in the study. Is that because the space is contained and closed in and gives them a feeling of comfort? I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start a new one since I am curious about other SM dogs. Let us know how SPangle is.

Spangle is much better this evening. She's had a little bit of chicken which she loved and hasn't done any head rubbing or shaking since early afternoon.
Thank you Melissa, Margaret and Paula for your comments, I think I panicked because that was the first really bad episode I have witnessed. She is usually pretty steady on her medication and she seemed so distressed.
I am so relieved.

im so glad Spangle is much better,poor love & poor you,what a terrible thing to happen:hug:

Awe...poor baby !! What a morning !! Glad she is doing better now..but that had to of hurt ! :(
...Hugs to you too... your are a good Mommy !

Oh I'm sorry I missed this earlier - poor Spangle and it must have given you such a scare :(

Pleased to hear that she is doing a bit better tonight - thanks for your message ,will write tomorrow.

Hi Christine
We all panic when something goes wrong with one of our babies just so good that Spangle is better .Last year a big bumbly got got up in Daisy's
draws but I managed to extracate him with now harm to either and DD does have a heavy thick coat so I felt more sorry for the bee but now when Daisy
spots one she looks then backs off thankfully.

glad to hear spangle is ok, i understand how you must have felt, if only they could talk, you just have to go by there behaviour, i find with ruby whe shes not feeling well she will look for a retreat somewhere where she feels secure. Big hugs and kisses :lotsaluv:

Glad to hear she is on the mend. Perhaps there's something you could give her in the future if you suspect she's been stung? Benadryl or similar? Might be good to ask the vet. That way she might avoid a ad reaction.

Please be careful with Benadryl:

In the United States and Canada, Benadryl products contain the first-generation antihistamine diphenhydramine. Diphenhydramine is used as an allergy treatment in various forms around the world. It is an H1 receptor antagonist. Antagonism is achieved through blocking the effect of histamine more than blocking its production or release. Diphenhydramine inhibits most responses of smooth muscle to histamine and acts as a vasoconstrictor by inhibiting the vasodilator effects of histamine. The antagonism may also produce anticholinergic effects, antiemetic effects, and significant sedative side effects.

In the United Kingdom, Benadryl products contain either the second-generation non-sedating antihistamine acrivastine (marketed as Benadryl Allergy Relief, with a suggested efficacy duration of eight hours) or the non-sedating antihistamine cetirizine (marketed as Benadryl One a Day Relief). Cetirizine is indicated for the relief of symptoms associated with allergy and hives. It is an orally active and selective H1 receptor antagonist.

I can't find anything to indicate if acrivastine and cetirizine are safe for dogs

In the UK you can obtain diphenhydramine only as Nytol [sleep aid] from a pharmacy, 50mg per tablet.

Piriton contains Chlorpheniramine maleate and is safe for dogs - would need to check dose with a vet though.

hi
so sorry to read about spangles hope she has a speedy recovery
sending kisses and cuddles to spangles from louie and his mum

Just reading this now. God you must have had such a fright. I am so glad things have settled down now and Spangles feels better.

Thank you for asking about how Spangle is doing. She is quite well at the moment. I don't think it was an insect sting. I just think it was her SM symptoms being much worse than usual.
That's one of the main problems though as many people have said before, you just don't know whether it is SM or something different! It is so hard to know what to do sometimes. I feel a bit like I rush to the vet too quickly sometimes, but I'd rather do that than risk Spangle having to go through more pain.

Back