• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Places of comfort for SM dogs

Love my Cavaliers

When Riley's SM is bothering her, she likes to go under tables or chairs or under the desk in the study. I was noticing in a few other threads that some other SM dogs seemed to choose similar spots. Does anyone know why? Do they like the feeling of being confined and closed in, or is it darker under there and quieter, so less stimulation? In my house, that's definitely true since I have three other cavaliers. I always thought she was going under there to get away from them, but then I started reading about other SM cavaliers who do it also. Any thoughts?

I think it is partly instinctive to take cover in a more protected and less frequented area when in pain.

I do think when Tommy was doing this it was with the intention of removing himself from the other dogs because being touched or jostled hurt him.

I would agree with what Margaret says about Tommy. When I had an operation last year, Oliver and Aled spent 2 weeks with a friend who has 7 Cavaliers and 5 Bearded Collies (large, hairy and very boisterous!). Aled played non-stop with the Cavaliers, but Oliver spent a lot of time in his crate - for the same reason he always shies away from boisterous dogs in the park, I think, because he doesn't want to get bowled over or jumped on. If you've got a headache, or have a sensitive head, the last thing you want is to have it banged on the ground! He also has osteo-arthritis in his spine, so a heavy dog landing right on the brittle bones could do real damage. He loves his crate at home, where he can arrange the bedding for maximum comfort and be with us but not too involved if he's feeling a bit rotten.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

When Riley's SM is bothering her, she likes to go under tables or chairs or under the desk in the study. I was noticing in a few other threads that some other SM dogs seemed to choose similar spots. Does anyone know why?

I once read, years ago, that dogs are "den" animals, and this is why they normally like a crate of their own. It is like a little den or cave for them. My amateur guess is that a dog who doesn't feel well will go under furniture or into a crate to feel safe and cozy, as it tries to replicate that 'den' that is instinctive to them.

Great question,id be interested in any thoughts too.

Ive noticed Ruby seems to like to squeeze right into a tight corner, say where the arm of the sofa joins the cushion, which looks so uncomfortable, so her head is pushed into the tiniest space,she does it at work sometimes too,once last week she had her head almost wedged under my work bag, which is huge & very heavy,the bag was up against the arm of the sofa & Rubes had the whole sofa plus her own bed there to choose from but she wiggled her head under my bag& fell asleep,i thought she must have been uncomfortable but she stayed like it for ages! Maybe she likes to squeeze her head into a tiny space to relieve any discomfort would be my laymans guess, kind of like when we rub our temples for a headache? She seems to sometimes like me to rub her head quite hard,she'll push her head more into my hand if you know what i mean.

Before anybody wonders,Ruby has SM diagnosed & is on regular Gaberpentin & the above is not very often!Right now she has taken up the whole of the sofa,Jellys gone onto the floor both girls fast asleep & im the one squished up in the corner so as not to disturb her!

so maybe yes its about finding a quiet tight space for ease, comfort & security?she also looks very cute & when she wakes up her face can be squished into a V shape,which always gets her lots of "sleepy head" cuddles:)!!

Tupup....
This is only a guess from me..as I do not have a dog w/ SM.
BUT.. for over 7 years I was on gabapentin ( a/k/a ~ nuerontin) for neuropathy in my legs due to my illness. I no longer have to take it ( thank u God*)..but realized that even tho it "helped" me ...it also gave me other symptoms that were not necessarily related to my disease. ( Such as made me extremely drowsy...frequent headaches & more aches than usual) Sounds crazy..but was told those are kind of side effects to the drug.

Anyway...it made me feel wonderful ( and still does) to just get a bit of a "massage" in certain areas that ache the most. Just like humans....dogs also have pressure points..and like you said...when we press on our temples to help relieve a headache....perhaps they find a way to help themselves too?? So I agree w/ you ~ Ruby rubbing her head into your hand..or into the corner of the sofa is a way to relieve the discomfort she is feeling. I also think finding a quiet place to relax ( w/ no distractions) is just what she needs as well :lotsaluv:
~hugs to you both~

Sorry to hear your dog has SM .... can I ask how she is day to day , does she suffer ?

Do meds help? are they expensive (not that that matters if they help)

Day to day, Riley is really great. She had surgery 4 years ago and it gave her a new lease on life. She is on daily prednisone which I get from her neurologist and it's pretty cheap. That's the only medication she's on. Others with SM are on a quite different regimen of medications, but prednisone is the only med that seemed to help Riley. She runs, she loves being outside, she loves going for walks - but she doesn't play with my other dogs, she has difficulty jumping (I have stairs for her to get up on the bed), her balance is terrible, and she will hide under tables and chairs - maybe when she has a headache. But overall, she is a happy dog and I've stopped looking at her as a dog who will die soon. I hate SM and what it's done to her, but she has adapted and copes amazingingly well. Sometimes I can look at her and know she's not feeling ok, most times though I look at her and she looks just like any other loving cavalier.

I remember when Ella was having a bad day, she would hide under the table. I thought it was because she didn't want to be touched or bothered. I thought of it as a symptom and would be an indication she was having a bad day or was in more pain. Now Elton, who does not have SM, will hide all the time. He loves to sleep under the covers in a dark place and hides under my bed sometimes. He has always done this and I feel it is much different than Ella because I could tell she was in pain but it seems he just likes to be under the covers or bed. I don't think it's pain related but more behavioral or personality who knows.

tupup said: "She seems to sometimes like me to rub her head quite hard,she'll push her head more into my hand if you know what i mean."

I definately know what you mean because that is Elton because he will push his head hard into my hand. I sometimes feel that he's telling me his head hurts and I wonder if something else is going on or if it's just normal behavior.

tupup said: "She seems to sometimes like me to rub her head quite hard,she'll push her head more into my hand if you know what i mean."

I definately know what you mean because that is Elton because he will push his head hard into my hand. I sometimes feel that he's telling me his head hurts and I wonder if something else is going on or if it's just normal behavior.
You know Oliver does that too and he doesn't have SM (confirmed by MRI). But every morning he'll come and like Elton, push his head hard into my hands. And I just rub and rub until he's had his fill. None of my other dogs hide under chairs or tables like Riley though.

Dougall has CM, recently he has been sleeping/hiding under a chair in the corner which is totally out of character. I believe this means he is suffering pain and he is tucking himself away to protect himself. When he is not hiding, he looks and seems ok but I am not taking any chances, he has an appointment to go to Stone Lion for checking.

Back