• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I think Charlie is TOO social

xoxHannaHxox

Hehe :)

Seriously though, everytime we go walkies he pulls and puuulllss towards anyone and everyone who walks past! As he's a puppy they all stop and give him loads of fuss so he keeps doing it. Even if there is someone the other side of the road he'll whine for attention and stare at them, then he'll park his butt right on the floor and won't move still staring and whining at them.

What should I do?

Fletcher is very social as well. He loves kids (guess that's the few weeks he first spend with me at work). I too have a hard time walking him sometimes because he wants to meet everyone. But I'm working on leash training so I really would rather not have the distractions. However, it is what it is, I allow Fletcher to greet people, kids other dogs AFTER asking or giving permission (sorry, I think young kids should ask before they touch or approach a dog---if their parents won't don't teach them this I will) but this is only when we are passing each other, Fletcher looks across the street but I tell him....this way and move him on. I think you are dealing with what I like to call cavalier ADHA, so easily distracted. Try to use that to your advantage Fletcher is easily distracted by a squeaky toy, I get his attention a lot using them, for us it really helped with all that puppy mouthing....my kids even learned very quickly to have one handy. It worked for us and now he would much rather have a toy to mouth then my kids shoe laces.

Melissa

Gotta laugh..it is super cute* that our pups LOVE everyone so much !! It's a CAVALIER thing ! :l*v:
How old is your pup?
(Whole lot better than dealing w/ a dog that is the opposite !)

I honestly can't add anything.....think the advice Melissa gave was great.

It's a Cavalier trait. We sent Sophie to a 14-day obedience boarding while we were out of the country, and that is the one thing I wanted them to focus on. She is 3 1/2 years old and it's been a battle from the start. Upon returning, the trainer said "it's just the way she is" and only using something like a prong collar will control it. Since I don't want to do that, I surrendered to it. After all, I chose a Cavalier because I wanted a dog that likes people. :fool:

Hehe :)

Seriously though, everytime we go walkies he pulls and puuulllss towards anyone and everyone who walks past! As he's a puppy they all stop and give him loads of fuss so he keeps doing it. Even if there is someone the other side of the road he'll whine for attention and stare at them, then he'll park his butt right on the floor and won't move still staring and whining at them.

What should I do?

How old is Charlie? Tails was like that but now he's nearly 8 months he's cooled off quite a lot. He's still mad for dogs and birds but with humans he now has a lot more restraint.

the trainer said "it's just the way she is" and only using something like a prong collar will control it.

That is some really bad advice! Maybe that place should put a prong collar on that trainers mouth. Glad you didn't do it. Cavaliers are people dog, personally that is what I love about them most. As I type this Fletcher is laying on the back of the sofa with his head on my shoulder.....I LOVE it!!!

Melissa

Back