Thread: gps tracking?

Post Thanks / Like

Default gps tracking?

Is there such thing? we never plan on our pet going missing..but if it happens its heart wrenchign.
    there was a topic on a golden retriever board i was registerd on..about a dog that went missing christmas eve..ive followed the owners desprate and sad search for over a year and a half.

Is there such thing as a gps tracking system (maybe one that dosnt look as rediculas and bulky on the ones i googled)

they have so many apps and stuf..i can track my MOM via iphone if i need to..
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard or seen anything for a dog, but maybe try checking for something for children or old people. You would think it's out there for disabled people. I always think its so sad to see new articles about missing old people so I have thought about it....not that I need one now tho Let us know if you find something, sounds like a good idea.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

ill defently keep people posted if i see something.
    aparently according to yahoo quesitons (ha which obviously isnt all that reliable) there is a gps microchipping invented..however it has a higher chance of them getting cancer so its not been released to the market.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

There is a collar tracking system for dogs available in the US. It comes with a monthly fee. I can get the name if you're interested...?

Post Thanks / Like

There are all sorts available. But they aren't cheap and generally have a fee. They tend to work via mobile phone signals so that is why there is the fee. They have to send location information somehow you see.

When Oliver was less than a year he disappeared hunting rabbits and was missing for 45 mins (the longest 45 mins of my life!!!) so I have looked at lots.

I was at the time using a trainer who told me if he wandered off I should carry on my walk and he would find me... He didn't! :S
    Now if he does go on a little hunt (generally I know where the rabbits are in my local woods and I keep him on lead in those locations) I stay put till he comes back which he always does. Usually in only a few mins.

If I had lost him for another 45 min stint he would be GPS tagged for sure. It is as you say heart wrenching.
    But they are very expensive. Though for that one occasion if I were to lose him I would obviously pay anything to get him back. :S

Tricky decision in my opinion. If I was rich he'd be GPS-ed for sure.

Mxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All the devices I have seen are way too large for a cavalier -- they are mobile phone sized, on a collar, a bit bulky and too heavy for a cavalier. Maybe something new has come out more recently but in general while they'd be Ok for something collie sized or so, they are not appropriate for smaller dogs... yet!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default gps tracking for pets

You can try this

http://weblocator.eu/oferta-preturi/...panie/?lang=en

Here you can try the demo tracking application: http://gps.weblocator.eu/index.xhtml...t=true&lang=en

Also they offer you different service packs so you are free to design the most proper pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The problem remains that these devices are too large and uncomfortable for a dog the size of a cavalier right now -- they'd be carrying around a device that is heavy for their size and bulky, the size of a deck of cards hanging on their collar (and this is a breed that has a high risk of health issues/pain in the neck area due to syringomyelia so I really wouldn't recommend hanging something heavy around their neck). Trackers are great perhaps for dogs the size of a collie, but not a cavalier -- yet at least (or for very large cavaliers as some do go well over breed standard in size and weight while still being he correct size for their build). Also quite expensive for the monthly packages needed to support wearing the device (think of it like paying another mobile phone bill). Hopefully someday with improvements in battery technology these can be made very small.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadeleineSarah View Post
    There are all sorts available. But they aren't cheap and generally have a fee. They tend to work via mobile phone signals so that is why there is the fee. They have to send location information somehow you see.

When Oliver was less than a year he disappeared hunting rabbits and was missing for 45 mins (the longest 45 mins of my life!!!) so I have looked at lots.

I was at the time using a trainer who told me if he wandered off I should carry on my walk and he would find me... He didn't! :S
    Now if he does go on a little hunt (generally I know where the rabbits are in my local woods and I keep him on lead in those locations) I stay put till he comes back which he always does. Usually in only a few mins.

If I had lost him for another 45 min stint he would be GPS tagged for sure. It is as you say heart wrenching.
    But they are very expensive. Though for that one occasion if I were to lose him I would obviously pay anything to get him back. :S

Tricky decision in my opinion. If I was rich he'd be GPS-ed for sure.

Mxx
    Sounds like one I had a few years ago ...... he was hunting mad and I know it is gut wrenching when they disappear. I walked with my bunch in woodland and when he went I would just stop and wait where he left us and sure enough he found his way back, he had an incredible sense of direction and I often saw him come out of the woodland onto the path where he left us and look up and down until he spotted us. I vowed I would keep him on a lead but I truly couldn't do it, he loved life so much and was an out and out bird dog. A couple of things I did was train him to a spaniel whistle and then hung some good bells on his collar so alot of the time I could hear him in quiet woodland. He loved to work the grouse on the moors too and quartered like a professional although he was totally untrained. He lived until he was 14yrs old and I am so pleased I let him live how he wanted to, but it could have gone wrong I dont mind admitting it. I had several battles with myself over him. One thing I often wondered, he was born with only one eye, the socket was there but the eye had only reached a very early developmental stage before going wrong. It did make me think if his other senses were more heightened as he compensated for this.

Ruth