• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy and Cables

silki

Hi,

I am going to Puppy Proof the house as much as possible but just wonder how Cavs are with Hifi Cables and the like.

Will they Chew them ? are they a Chewing breed ??

Sorry for the NewBee questions.

When we puppy-proofed our house, we tucked most cables up as best we could, however having laptops we allows have a cable running somewhere. Yes, Fletcher has mouthed them......that being said, SUPERVISION SUPERVISION SUPERVISION. Cavalier's puppies are like every other puppy, they will chew anything and can find everything.

Fletcher has an area in the house than is pinned off, this is his long term confinement area. He has a smaller travel crate, water, toys, space (on hard floor-just in case of an accident) because in my house that area is kind of separate from the rest of the family. He also has a larger crate with bedding and water in the living room.

Remember, you do not want to allow a new puppy free run of your home. Number 1 for potty training reasons Number 2 for getting into things you think you puppy- proofed.

Unless your puppy is within arms reach, he needs to be in one of his areas (large pinned area or crate)

Also, make sure you buy your puppy plenty of safe good chew toys, Fletcher LOVES baby slit elk antlers. But I was told no rawhide since they can get chewed down quickly and be a choking hazard.

There is a lot of great into on CT just look for it and READ it you have a question just ask!!!

I know its an excited time, enjoy your puppy proofing.

Melissa

Sophie never chewed cables, or anything that was not hers. She had plenty of dog toys and was closely supervised until well past her first birthday.

I agree get PLENTY of chew toys and also get a variety of different chews so that your puppy doesn't get bored with the same type of chew toy. Sonny chewed our lap top cord in the first couple weeks we had him. We were so mad, but mad at ourselves for not keeping a better eye on him. After that I went out and bought tons of chew toys! When you are home, but not able to supervise your puppy 100 %, an exercise pen can be a great solution to keep your puppy safe and out of trouble.

Below are some of the chew toys we got Sonny when he was a baby. A couple of them you can stick in the freezer to make them cool and soothing on gums when the puppy is teething. We found the key was having a variety of different things for him to chew. Sonny also LOVED bully sticks, but you have to be careful when they get too small. We always took them away when they got small enough for him to swallow.

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Pupp...id=1340980031&sr=8-1&keywords=puppy+chew+toys

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-ORKA-Pin...d=1340980121&sr=8-23&keywords=puppy+chew+toys

http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Pupp...id=1340980717&sr=8-2&keywords=puppy+chew+toys

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Stages-Cool-Teething-Stick/dp/B0009YJ3QE/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_3

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Classic-...id=1340980249&sr=8-8&keywords=puppy+chew+toys

Good Luck! Puppies are a lot of work, but so much fun!!!

Ha. Chew toys are no substitute for cords, wood furniture and especially any kind of basket/rattan/wicker. Last summer, at about 6-7 months of age, Bentley chewed my laptop cord to the tune of $60+ (I was not happy), he chewed the corner of my cedar chest, the base of our dining table, rungs of chairs, and I've had to put all rattan-type stuff out of reach. Thankfully, the hubby was a furniture finisher by trade and can repair all this. He's much better now but the woven wicker stuff is still very tempting. I was told that "No" or "No-No" was not to be used on him but, as the mother of 3 and grandmother of 8, that's just my automatic response and he knows exactly what it means. If I catch him he stops immediately at a "No-No." Such a sweet baby.

My experience...I wouldn't say that Cavaliers are much of a chewing breed..but like any pup..they will chew on something if they don't have enough other things to occupy them.
Wrigley has had TONS of toys & chews..but he still managed to chew up a computer cable a few months back under my hubby's desk when not noticed.
His favorite thing is grabbing just "one" shoe out of the closet ( that again my hubby forgets to close !..lol) and nibble on the strap of my high heels or sandal just enough that they look horrible. He ruined 2 pairs of my shoes doing that.
Sooo we make sure that doors are closed & he has plenty of other chew things. He is only 8+ months old & still teething as well.

I have to say though...his chewing is not half as bad as our labs was when he was a pup.
Our Zeb came munching down the hall one day & I wondered what in the world he had in his mouth?? I pulled out a huge piece of plastic..and realized it was the top of a phone ! Went to the living room where my husband's expensive cell phone for work was lying all over the floor in tiny pieces. Yeah...he demolished it! He also would lay under the kitchen table..and I realized he would reach over and he pretty much chewed one of the legs off in a matter of minutes. He's 3+ years now ( and actually a great dog). Been out of the teething stage for quite awhile ..but oh boy...did we have to supply the stuff for him !!....lol...

When they are teething, they chew a lot. Anything that looks good to them, they'll take on. I'd suggest Bitter Yuck to spray on the cable.

The bitter yuck spray???? Well that will not stop Fletcher! Oh well, I'm used to having bad boys :) We have to watch him VERY carefully, because his favorite things to eat are pieces of fabric!!!! While this is not harming the object, its dangerous for Fletcher (already been to the vet once with this problem). And because I have little kids, I'm watching and hoping Fletcher out-grows or I can out train him to resist his love of fabric. I have done everything I can, no throw rugs, no cute puppy blankets, kids have very rules about keeping their bedrooms doors closed etc. I learned just this week I can hang dish towels on the oven handle.

For us nothing works better than supervision and keeping Fletcher in a safe place when I can't. Don't worry he never spends more than a hour or so at a time crated or pinned up...he has even taken to napping in his crate with the door open. He already knows it might be his only place to sleep without a loud kid running by :)

Melissa

Yes they will chew cables and eletric cords....you must be very careful or your pup can eletrocute itself. My boy cavalier was my worst chewer yet. He chew our kitchen chairs, corner of the walls, and any books my kids left on the floor. Luckily he outgrew it.

When a puppy is teething this is when they will chew the most. At this stage you need to give them plenty of chew toys and hopefully they won't prefer an item you don't want chewed! :)

Back