Thread: Short Hair or Long Hair

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Short Hair or Long Hair

All over the net I keep seeing different videos of Cavs and some look short haired others look long, is this a breeding thing or is it just the fact that they have been "trimmed" ??

Post Thanks / Like

Just like people some cavalier are hairier than others. Show cavalier's are never cut (at least that's what they say) most people who have non show cavaliers usually do so sort of cutting if they choose. All cavaliers have long hair, grooming is a big part of owning one. Fletcher is just a puppy so his has not grown in all the way yet, however because he will allows need to be groomed I brush him everyday. Personally, I am hoping to let his hair be longer...but I know I will trim his slippers (hair on his feet) and potty area. But we'll just see how it goes....if it gets to the point I can't manage it I will seek the advice of a professional groomer.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Like MomObvious said, they come with different coats. But a great many people trim their pets. I used to trim mine in the spring when she started blowing her coat. This year I didn't because I was having fun with grooming her. There are certain places where Cavs get matted easily--behind the ears for example--and those places are nice to keep trimmed. But it's really the owner's choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Your choice but I prefer my girls to look like Cavaliers but then again in our summer it is not as hot and humid as midwest US ,they
    do go to the groomers once every 8-10 weeks but only for a tidy up .

This is Xmas 2011 left to right Poppy ,Rosie ,Daisy and Lily

[IMG][/IMG]
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed just lately that our Wrigley's hair is getting thicker & longer the older he is getting.
    ( He just turned 8 mo'.s)
    Like everyone else has said..think it just varies w/ the dog like it does us humans. Some are hairy-r than others.
    I just keep him brushed ...which he doesn't seem to mind.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Your choice but I prefer my girls to look like Cavaliers...
    I know nobody means it this way, but I find this line of thinking very hurtful. It can feel (at least to me) that you're implying trimmed/shaved Cavaliers do not look like Cavs, are less Cav somehow. I have almost always left Misha's fur long (except shaving his back in summer's heat), but last year trimmed his ears and feathers so he wouldn't step on them and hurt himself due to worsening arthritis. I assure you, he still looks plenty Cavalier

Post Thanks / Like

We trim slippers, potty area, and a bit off the feathers. He's very low to the ground and with the morning dew he's soaked through by his first potty. I haven't touched his ears, but I'm sure we will keep a puppy cut going.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11