Thread: Results of owners' questionnaires on pain in CM/SM cavaliers

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Results of owners' questionnaires on pain in CM/SM cavaliers

UK researchers report results of questionnaires on neuropathic pain in CM/SM-affected cavaliers. http://bit.ly/MZXza9
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Well Duh.

Only adds to the research already known that CM/SM is painful.....yes being in pain does effect your life. I'm glad for the ongoing info. The more research and real science done the better maybe it will mean the people who still need to know this will re-think???????? The whole problem is just so sad.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MomObvious View Post
    Well Duh.

Only adds to the research already known that CM/SM is painful.....yes being in pain does effect your life. I'm glad for the ongoing info. The more research and real science done the better maybe it will mean the people who still need to know this will re-think???????? The whole problem is just so sad.

Melissa
    This type of information serves more than just confirming the obvious. Many cavalier owners, I think, do not realize when their dogs are suffering neuropathic pain, because the symptoms of that pain are not so obvious. This study evidences other behaviors that really are due to pain, even though they may appear not to be painful.

The bottom line, I think, is that owners who are ignorant of the symptoms of neuropathic pain, and therefore minimize or ignore the pain their CM or CM/SM dogs are experiencing, are doing their dogs a major dis-service. If 95% of cavaliers really do have CM and 70% of them really do have CM/SM, then the dogs' odd behaviors (which may not appear to the owners to be associated with pain) really are caused by CM and SM pain. And those dogs deserve to be medicated.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    This type of information serves more than just confirming the obvious. Many cavalier owners, I think, do not realize when their dogs are suffering neuropathic pain, because the symptoms of that pain are not so obvious. This study evidences other behaviors that really are due to pain, even though they may appear not to be painful.

The bottom line, I think, is that owners who are ignorant of the symptoms of neuropathic pain, and therefore minimize or ignore the pain their CM or CM/SM dogs are experiencing, are doing their dogs a major dis-service. If 95% of cavaliers really do have CM and 70% of them really do have CM/SM, then the dogs' odd behaviors (which may not appear to the owners to be associated with pain) really are caused by CM and SM pain. And those dogs deserve to be medicated.
    Rod... I agree w/ what you are saying. I am sure that is the case w/ many Cavalier owners.
    Many don't even know about all this CM/SM before buying..because it isn't really talked about. That's the honest truth.
    Sure..they may realize the MVD risks...but not everything else.
    But can I add something? Dogs in general "do not" always show how they are feeling. It's just part of their instinctive nature to hide any weakness. We have owned many dogs through the years. I can't tell you how many times it wasn't until too late that we knew something was wrong. Every dog we have lost was due to cancer..a massive tumor that we knew "nothing" about because they HID their symptoms so well.
    So guess I am saying it isn't always the owners fault. We have always been very responsible when it comes to Vet visits. It's just that when you "think" your dog is OK..most owners do not have random tests done & spend $$ if they don't feel the need to.
    That obviously isn't what a Cavalier owner should do..but hope that makes sense.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Rod, bring more awareness to current owners too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that Rod. The more I watch my own two dogs with CM/SM, the more I'm convinced that there is no such thing as a totally asymptomatic dog with the disease - we just haven't learnt to recognise all the signs of neuropathic pain. And far too many owners still think of head rubbing, for example, as a cute Cavalier characteristic, and humans squint in strong light so why shouldn't dogs do it as well? Except that most other breeds don't head rub, and dog's eyes aren't the same as ours.

And I would differ from Diane about dogs hiding pain: firstly because I don't think dogs think like that, they don't say 'I have something seriously wrong with me but in order not to distress my owners or make life difficult for myself I am going to hide any pain I feel' - hiding implies a deliberate decision; secondly, from my experience of cancer, both for myself and for a number of friends, some cancers are simply not painful - or not recognised as painful - until they are considerably advanced, which is why they are so difficult to diagnose and treat; and thirdly, both for dogs and humans, having other things to do can enable us to ignore pain, not necessarily deliberately pushing it to the back of our minds, but being so busy and absorbed in other things that we don't think about it. As far as I know, Oliver never shows any signs of a headache when he is running round the park off-lead with his head down enjoying all the smells. His headaches come into consciousness when he is lying down dozing, with nothing to distract him.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Sins, your comment has reminded me of a question that I've been intending to ask for a while now.... How many of our cavaliers with SM die from causes other than SM, in particular as a result of the side effects of the drugs they are on? Your own Daisy and our FB friend have prompted me to ask this.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008