Thread: My 7 mo old sucks.

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 7 mo old sucks.

Just kidding...kind of.

I think Lady is going through a really annoying phase? God I hope it's just a phase. She's stopped sleeping all the time. She will only sleep when I put her in her crate, she used to sit with me quietly while I did hw and now she has to pace around and look for something to destroy. She never stops!!! And today, for example, she darted out the front door, into the street, into the neighbors yard and I had to CHASE her down and she was not listening to me at all even though we always practice recall and it's normally pretty good.

She also whines, digs up the garden, and is generally getting in to all of my stuff. It is obnoxious, I tell you.

Is this her terrible two's or what? And how long until she calms down??? She used to be able to take naps with me in bed and now if I try to do that she jumps right off and, again, looks for something to destroy. WHY. I love her so much, and she's so beautiful! But it's a lovehate thing right now because she annoys me so much all the time.
    New mama to Lady - a charming ruby cavalier puppy. I love her more than chocolate.

Post Thanks / Like

How often is she walked?

I remember reading before I got Oliver "a good dog is a tired dog" it is something I live by.
    I know you aren't supposed to walk a puppy far but you can walk more than once a day if she naps in between.

I suggest you direct her energy towards walking and smelling on her walks.
    Also as a puppy Oliver would come home much more tired and relaxed if we had met other dogs while out. The mental stimulation of interacting with other dogs used to wear him out a treat.

Also if she is teething get her some toys she is allowed to destroy.
    Oliver had a chewy phase. Didn't last long. Don't worry they do grow up.

Oliver is 2 now and is a very laid back young gentleman.

Good luck.
    M&O

Post Thanks / Like

I agree more exercise and maybe an obedience class, I hear they are fun (don't know we still haven't started one) I would try to direct her energy in appropriate things. Bored children get into trouble all the time....maybe this is the same thing.
    Oh and the saying is "a tired dog is a happy dog"

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Bella is nearly 9 months and she is going through a defiant stage. I am doing some retraining with her. It is like she has forgotten all of her good training and has decided to do what she likes. She has a lot of toys that she will play with to keep herself occupied but when I am doing work at home and scrunch up some paper and miss the bin she will run over, take off with the paper and rip it in to pieces...she only does it with paper I don't need which is weird. I give her a pigs ear if I know I wont have time to play a lot but when I have a 5 minute break I throw her toy and play tug of war with her. I take Bella to my parents house on the way to work so she plays with my parents dog during the day. I agree with Brooklyn's Mom with giving your pup something that will take a while to chew on, also do some retraining...
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh I remember that phase. This happened to Sonny around 9 months. He became very defiant and a little wild. We were so confused because we thought he had outgrown the puppy phases, but I guess adolescence was hitting at full force! I agree with the others about having interesting things for Lady to chew on , more training and increased walks. I think training is really important at that age because like everyone else said they kind of forget or at least act like they have forgotten a lot of what they have been taught for some reason. Also the mental stimulation of practicing commands and learning new ones is one of the best ways to wear these little pups out.

Try not to get discouraged, this phase will pass. Sonny finally started to calm down around 11 months. It was kind of like something just clicked into place and he listened better, was calmer and more independent. Now, when he starts to get rowdy we tell him to go get a toy and he runs to his box pulls one out and amuses himself until he is all worn out. Good Luck and hang in there!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah thank you all for the advice! Lady gets a lot of exercise as it is. I take her on 2 mile jogs with me and we walk for at least an hour a day. I definitely agree that when she's tired, she's much better behaved. And we're moving to a bigger place that will allow 2 dogs - so she'll have my roommate's dog to play with every day now, and we're thinking that will be good for her. Clearly, when she's bored or left alone too long, she acts out.

We did take an obedience class but it looks like it is time to take another. I'm so relieved to hear she's not the only one who has behaved this way...amazing how much this is like having a child..
    New mama to Lady - a charming ruby cavalier puppy. I love her more than chocolate.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh been there done that! If it is like Brooky, it is just a phase teenage years Yeah, they are annoying, but you'll get through!!! I remember it so well...Brooky still sometimes goes through times like that.

Here is what my "best friend" tools are to help this way (I am back in school too so studying is top for me and it needs to be quiet)....bully sticks. Get some, get a lot of bully sticks! Goat or kangaroo tendons, a good bone, almond butter spread inside a kong (she will spend ages trying to get it out) an ice block with treats (fill up Tupperware with water and splash some chicken stock in there, put some treats and chews in there, freeze. Takes ages to lick out the treats!). Oh and treat balls that in some treats or kibble into or balls with holes in them that I shove chews into....or the best, an empty bottled water plastic container (that alone entertains her for hours) with some treats stuffed inside that are hard to get out.

Hope that helps!! Yeah and heaps of exercise and training. Training will exhaust her more mentally, learn new tricks, practice old ones...do sit, stay and go for a treat treasure hunt...have fun this will exhaust her mind. Oh, and also, when Brooky is in this mindset I do not feed her out of a bowl, only out of food toys, her whole meal, she really has to work for it and it exhausts her mind