Thread: Honeydew Melons To Peel Or Not To Peel

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Honeydew Melons To Peel Or Not To Peel

Hi

I always give the girls two cubes of melon with every meal throughout the year and during a hot
    spell ( ) or luke warm I feed extra to cool them off .But being a humble man I cut them in half then
    scoop out all the seeds then peel them then cut them into cubes but my question is should
    I peel them or just deseed them wash them then feed them with the peel on ?
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

When you eat honeydew melon do you eat the peels? I don't just saying. If give Fletcher apples from time to time yes, peeled and sliced because that's the way I like them.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    No I don't but I am sure it was Karlin that said she feeds the peel as its a good form of roughage but I just want to check .When they have
    apples ,bananas ,carrots ,turnup I peel when the have strawberry ,blueberry,peas ,cabbage ,sprouts ,beans eyc its skin/peel on .And when
    I feed meat its raw and fish as it comes.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would peel because of pesticide residue, unless you are buying organic.

I can't comment on the roughage though.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

I'm sure the peel has good things in it, your right to double check...oh I never thought of feeling Fletcher a turnip, and I was wondering about a banana I try to limit the apples, its good sugar but still sugar. Hmmmmm....thanks for the tips. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy feeling Fletcher a very healthy diet, its like how I wanted to feed my kids but I didn't have the backbone to stick with it. I don't keep a lot of unhealthy foods in my house but they still would rather eat cake for dinner!! Don't worry I find a way to slip in good things shhhhh Right now he is on a kibble eating 3 times a day, with carrots, apples, blueberries as treats but I am really thinking about switching to raw.Honestly, I am kinda waiting until he goes down to eating twice a day.....its a little work 3 times a day. If I do I want to do it myself not buy prepackaged food......still thinking about it.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian. For me, it depends. In general I don't, simply because as far as I know there is nothing wrong for them to eat the peels once you gave them a good wash. However if I feed when I am also feeding us humans, then of course Chloe will have them without the peels. Just like you I do scoop all the seeds out.

- Chloe the Cav.