• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Honeydew Melons To Peel Or Not To Peel

Brian M

Hi

I always give the girls two cubes of melon with every meal throughout the year and during a hot
spell ( :rolleyes: ) or luke warm I feed extra to cool them off .But being a humble man I cut them in half then
scoop out all the seeds then peel them then cut them into cubes but my question is should
I peel them or just deseed them wash them then feed them with the peel on ?

When you eat honeydew melon do you eat the peels? I don't just saying. If give Fletcher apples from time to time yes, peeled and sliced because that's the way I like them.

Melissa

Hi
No I don't but I am sure it was Karlin that said she feeds the peel as its a good form of roughage but I just want to check .When they have
apples ,bananas ,carrots ,turnup I peel when the have strawberry ,blueberry,peas ,cabbage ,sprouts ,beans eyc its skin/peel on .And when
I feed meat its raw and fish as it comes.

I would peel because of pesticide residue, unless you are buying organic.

I can't comment on the roughage though.

Brian,

I'm sure the peel has good things in it, your right to double check...oh I never thought of feeling Fletcher a turnip, and I was wondering about a banana I try to limit the apples, its good sugar but still sugar. Hmmmmm....thanks for the tips. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy feeling Fletcher a very healthy diet, its like how I wanted to feed my kids but I didn't have the backbone to stick with it. I don't keep a lot of unhealthy foods in my house but they still would rather eat cake for dinner!! Don't worry I find a way to slip in good things shhhhh Right now he is on a kibble eating 3 times a day, with carrots, apples, blueberries as treats but I am really thinking about switching to raw.Honestly, I am kinda waiting until he goes down to eating twice a day.....its a little work 3 times a day. If I do I want to do it myself not buy prepackaged food......still thinking about it.

Melissa

Hi Brian. For me, it depends. In general I don't, simply because as far as I know there is nothing wrong for them to eat the peels once you gave them a good wash. However if I feed when I am also feeding us humans, then of course Chloe will have them without the peels. Just like you I do scoop all the seeds out.

- Chloe the Cav.

Hi Melissa

I brush their teeth to my own regime which is probaly well OTT and to finish last thing at night I give them each
a chunk of turnip mainly as another aid to cleaning their teeth as they sink them right inyo the fibres thus helping
in the removal of any plaque .I have been feeding my own type of raw foods for many years now and I include a
variety of raw meat/fish veggies and fruit all human grade and supplement with a few things like bone meal and other
selective vitamins .I have often wondered as I stand there preparing their melons whether to leave the peel on or
off and as my knowledge of food and its preaparation is not a lot I thought it best to ask all the Ladies of the house .

Ps I do feed banana's about once a week and only when fresh .

PPS Its 6th Poppy's birthday tomorrow and Dawn has just phoned to say her birthday Liver cake from Oscars bakery has
just arrived ,but I cant post too much about it as I don't want her reading this and spoiling her surprise .

Back