• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Behaviour Change...

SophieLightyear

Hi all,
I havent been on here a lot recently as I've been busy & Benji has been getting on really well. But recently he's started pooping on the carpet again. The house flooded on Thursday, so the house is looking slightly different at the moment, so I don't know if it's that or what. Just to be clear the going on the carpet only started after the flood. Last time I posted on here I think it was about a phantom limp Benji had and we were told there was a possibility he could have SM. I'm considering taking him to the vets, although money is seriously tight at the moment.
Does anyone have any advice?!
Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the flood, that sounds horrendous.

An event like this may be enough to unsettle a dog, I'm sure there has been major disruption to all your lives.

Is Benji insured? If not, I would seriously consider insuring him. However if you already suspect that he has SM symptoms and you don't disclose that to an insurer, that may be considered fraud. If there is anything on his vet records to indicate SM, then again they would exclude that.

Go back to your basic house training routines, don't forget that dogs are never really 100% reliable until they are a year, so they will have relapses anyway. Also try to keep him in a regular routine of feeding, walks etc.

I'm guessingi was upset and rattled by the flood. We're you affected by the big storms and the heat wave? All of that might rattle him as well. keep a close eye on him for a couple days so he doesn't have an opportunity to repeat the mistake. Perhaps put him on a schedule for going outside so you dont rely on him telling You he needs to. Hope he's OK!

It may be that the house smells different after the flood - especially the carpets, which retain smells, or when cleaned have no smell - and Benji is re-establishing his territory by marking it. Both sides of the Atlantic are having weird weather at the moment - due, apparently, to a current getting stuck in the middle of the ocean, leaving the US on the hot side of it, and us in the UK on the cold and wet side. Hope your flood didn't do too much damage.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back