Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rescue Cavalier - reluctant to go out

Post Thanks / Like

Melissa wrote: I would be VERY CAREFUL walking her off lead, the last thing she needs is to be lost.

I would second this - not so much that she might get lost, but that she will panic and head for home (or back to the car in a possibly busy car park), and if this happens to be across a busy major road... If I can only manage a short walk with my two, I take them across the busy road to a small park, but Aled, my rescue, is never allowed off-lead. If he got chased by a bigger dog (and we have far too many undisciplined staffie crosses in our neighbourhood) he would get into a blind panic and head for where he feels secure - home. And probably wouldn't make it. It can take a long time for dogs from a poor background to unlearn earlier behaviour and get used to a completely strange world. They can seem to be doing fine and then something new throws them and you can't always anticipate it.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with this as well. Unless you are in a fenced area where there is no chance of escape & she is perfectly safe...I would "always" keep her on lead. Even a dog that is completely used to being with you..you never know what might intrigue them to run off & it would be heartbreaking if anything bad happened.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you melissa and tania for your advice, eveything you,ve said makes perfect sense, each day there are signs of improvement, but like you said, it will take a long long time, and i do believe i can make a difference, now i,am focusing on enjoying her, and her quirky little ways, when we managed to get her to the park this afternoon, she ran round the park forever, her tail wagging, it gave me such pleasure, and sadies face said it all!!! Ruby just looks as if to say "whatever", even though sadie is 8 months older, she is extremely fit, ruby needs to lose a few pounds, she has been on a diet, but only lost a little, starting to cut down on her food portions, but bless her shes never really been much of a runner, even as a pup, anyway thank you all for advising me, take care and enjoy your weekend karen, ruby and sadie