Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone please give me the skinny on micro-chipping

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have Home Again for Lucky and AKC Car for Sparky.

AKC is a lifetime registration, Lucky's Home Again I pay Annually. (it was lifetime, but when I found out that by paying annually I could get free Animal Poison Control advice, I switched to annually. I use Animal Poison Control at least once a year out of an abundance of caution ... I'm a tad neurotic, so this saves me money.)
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I have Home Again for Lucky and AKC Car for Sparky.

AKC is a lifetime registration, Lucky's Home Again I pay Annually. (it was lifetime, but when I found out that by paying annually I could get free Animal Poison Control advice, I switched to annually. I use Animal Poison Control at least once a year out of an abundance of caution ... I'm a tad neurotic, so this saves me money.)
    I called human poison control about Thistle being found with an empty foil for some pill. They were able (and willing) to look up her breed, weight, age and tell me everything I needed to know about symptoms to watch for, and what if it might be toxic. I believe she just found a stray already empty foil and didn't eat the drug at all. The human service is supported by tax dollars and I wasn't charged at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all I knew I could count on you I do want to do it guess I need to call the vet about which ones they stock etc.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, Sophie wears a webbed collar and I machine embroidered her name and our home and cell phone #s on it.

Post Thanks / Like

What I have to say about chipping: just do it. Best invention ever for reuniting dogs and owners.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realise that micro-chipping wasn't required in other countries! In Australia (NSW at least) dogs are required to be microchipped when sold or given away. Mabel was microchipped just before she came home with me at 8 weeks. It doesn't always help though, my family dog (a labrador) got stolen by a group of young boys who stuffed her in their car and drove her a few suburbs over and dropped her off. A lady saw and called the police, we only got her back because my Mum had been calling the pound every hour!

Thanks for the advice about getting the Vet to scan the chip though. It would also be handy to make sure my details have been updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kjaneb View Post
    I didn't realise that micro-chipping wasn't required in other countries! In Australia (NSW at least) dogs are required to be microchipped when sold or given away. Mabel was microchipped just before she came home with me at 8 weeks. It doesn't always help though, my family dog (a labrador) got stolen by a group of young boys who stuffed her in their car and drove her a few suburbs over and dropped her off. A lady saw and called the police, we only got her back because my Mum had been calling the pound every hour!

Thanks for the advice about getting the Vet to scan the chip though. It would also be handy to make sure my details have been updated.

Its funny what you learn about different countries on CT. No micro-chipping and having pet insurance are optional in the US. By law the only things you must do is rabies shots, and registration which in my area is $5 every 2 years, I do think there is a law about the number of animals you can have be zoning laws. We do have leash laws too.

I'm having Fletcher micro-chipped for sure. I'm going to have it done when he get fixed next month.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

We had Sophie micro-chipped while she was spayed, also. It saved an extra visit.

Post Thanks / Like

All of my dogs are chipped, the younger dogs were chipped by my vet with Avid. The older dog was chipped by a local rescue and his chip is another company (I don't recall the name). I registered them all with homeagain, except my youngest. I never registered his chip with a company but Avid has the vet information if he gets lost.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news. I talked to my vet office today they carry a brand that registrars thur the vet's office. One $50 fee pays for lifetime registration and getting the chip done!!!!!

As long as I use my vet we are covered. I LOVE my vet I would never leave. So now Fletcher is all set up to get fixed and micorchipped at the same time. But it was a great tip to have the chip scanned at his regular vet visits, I will make sure to have them do it.

Melissa