• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Someone please give me the skinny on micro-chipping

MomObvious

Fletcher has an appointment to get neutered on Aug. 13th (one day after turning 6 months) I wanted to get him micro-chipped but I have not done my research on them. I live in the US so if you have your dog micro-chipped please share your input on them. I'm starting my research by asking you. My vet office does not offer any and I was not able to chat with my vet about them but I do know they will happily do them. Tell me what brand you went with and why.

Thanks,

Melissa

Our vet used resQ.
We have a chip in Henry, and a tag on his collar that says he's chipped to please call the 800 # to return him to his owners. We also have reward stamped on the back of his name tag. I'm hoping it's enough incentive to have him be returned of god forbid he ever gets lost.

But that's not really answering your questions.

The idea of the chip is that if he is bought into the animal shelter he gets scanned, and you get notified.

Wrigley had his micro-chip inserted when they neutered him about a month ago. Our's is thru AVID.
Same thing as what Shari said..has an 800# on his tag that someone calls.
Not sure that any one company is better than another. They all pretty much do the same thing.
They just register the Micro=chip number in their data base. ( The Vet's office has it as well)
It can be set up that they will notify the VET and the Vet will call you ( at no cost)..or that the company will call YOU directly ( to which there is a fee).
Inserting the micro-chip is painless. It can be done at any time & only takes a minute.
Like Shari said..it only works if someone "finds" your dog & is willing to bring the dog back to be scanned.
It won't work for tracking a dog if lost. ( I'm sure you already knew that)

We also have a tag w/ his name & our address & phone on his collar as well.
We do not have a reward set up...but that is an excellent idea.

Not all microchips are the same!! In the US different brands use a different number of digits. This is fine as long as fletcher stays in the US his whole life. If there is even the remotest chance he might join you on a vacation abroad (I met people at the USDA waiting room today taking pets on vacations to France, Guatemala, and el Salvador) then you will NEED a 15 digit chip - or you can just lug your own personal scanner around for going through customs, expensive and heavy.

The brand my dogs have is HomeAgain, it has an 800 number to call like all the other companies. They use snoopy in their ads.

There are probably other 15 digit microchip companies, that's just the one my vet stocked.

It's definitely worth doing. In the event that someone ever finds and keeps or steals fletcher you can prove he isn't just a similar looking dog, he is YOURS; a collar can just be slipped right off.

Sophie is micro-chipped through HomeAgain, because that is the company our veterinarian uses. If memory serves me, there is a fee to have the chip inserted and a small annual fee to keep her in the database. You can read more at the HomeAgain web site.

I definitely think getting a dog micro chipped is important. It obviously doesn't guarantee that someone will take him in to be scanned, but if they take him to a vet or a shelter then they will definitely get scanned there. When we were getting Sonny neutered I was going back and forth about the micro chip because I had questions if it can cause health risks like cancer, but I didn't find substantial evidence of health risks and decided that the micro chip is a must. We are VERY careful with Sonny and I don't think that there is any way he could get lost, but the reality is that dogs get lost, stolen every day and I want to make sure that we have added protection to find Sonny if this ever happens to us. We didn't have an option with what brand to go with. My vet uses HOME AGAIN and I have been very happy with them and the information that I got about them.

Sonny also always wears his tags with our home information and we also have REWARD written on a tag as an incentive to return our pup. :)

1 in 3 pets goes missing during its lifetime, and without proper ID, 90% never return home.

This is the statistic that really solidified my decision to get Sonny microchipped. It was stamped on the front of our Home Again packet. Obviously tags can serve the same purpose, but I think the microchip is important if for some reason their collar and tags comes off.

Not all microchips are the same!! In the US different brands use a different number of digits. This is fine as long as fletcher stays in the US his whole life. If there is even the remotest chance he might join you on a vacation abroad (I met people at the USDA waiting room today taking pets on vacations to France, Guatemala, and el Salvador) then you will NEED a 15 digit chip - or you can just lug your own personal scanner around for going through customs, expensive and heavy.

The brand my dogs have is HomeAgain, it has an 800 number to call like all the other companies. They use snoopy in their ads.

There are probably other 15 digit microchip companies, that's just the one my vet stocked.

It's definitely worth doing. In the event that someone ever finds and keeps or steals fletcher you can prove he isn't just a similar looking dog, he is YOURS; a collar can just be slipped right off.

Hmmm...didn't realize that. We won't be going anywhere across the ocean..but good to know this. *thanks*
And yes..ours is 15 digits as well.

Just a reminder on microchips. Have your vet scan your dog when you bring them in for appointments to make sure the chip is still in good working order and being read properly. Over time, chips can sometimes shift and can no longer be found when trying to scan. It happened to Sydney and I had to get him rechipped. His vet said it is pretty common.

I have Home Again for Lucky and AKC Car for Sparky.

AKC is a lifetime registration, Lucky's Home Again I pay Annually. (it was lifetime, but when I found out that by paying annually I could get free Animal Poison Control advice, I switched to annually. I use Animal Poison Control at least once a year out of an abundance of caution ... I'm a tad neurotic, so this saves me money.)

I have Home Again for Lucky and AKC Car for Sparky.

AKC is a lifetime registration, Lucky's Home Again I pay Annually. (it was lifetime, but when I found out that by paying annually I could get free Animal Poison Control advice, I switched to annually. I use Animal Poison Control at least once a year out of an abundance of caution ... I'm a tad neurotic, so this saves me money.)

I called human poison control about Thistle being found with an empty foil for some pill. They were able (and willing) to look up her breed, weight, age and tell me everything I needed to know about symptoms to watch for, and what if it might be toxic. I believe she just found a stray already empty foil and didn't eat the drug at all. The human service is supported by tax dollars and I wasn't charged at all.

Thanks all I knew I could count on you :) I do want to do it guess I need to call the vet about which ones they stock etc.

Melissa

FWIW, Sophie wears a webbed collar and I machine embroidered her name and our home and cell phone #s on it.

I didn't realise that micro-chipping wasn't required in other countries! In Australia (NSW at least) dogs are required to be microchipped when sold or given away. Mabel was microchipped just before she came home with me at 8 weeks. It doesn't always help though, my family dog (a labrador) got stolen by a group of young boys who stuffed her in their car and drove her a few suburbs over and dropped her off. A lady saw and called the police, we only got her back because my Mum had been calling the pound every hour!

Thanks for the advice about getting the Vet to scan the chip though. It would also be handy to make sure my details have been updated.

I didn't realise that micro-chipping wasn't required in other countries! In Australia (NSW at least) dogs are required to be microchipped when sold or given away. Mabel was microchipped just before she came home with me at 8 weeks. It doesn't always help though, my family dog (a labrador) got stolen by a group of young boys who stuffed her in their car and drove her a few suburbs over and dropped her off. A lady saw and called the police, we only got her back because my Mum had been calling the pound every hour!

Thanks for the advice about getting the Vet to scan the chip though. It would also be handy to make sure my details have been updated.

Its funny what you learn about different countries on CT. No micro-chipping and having pet insurance are optional in the US. By law the only things you must do is rabies shots, and registration which in my area is $5 every 2 years, I do think there is a law about the number of animals you can have be zoning laws. We do have leash laws too.

I'm having Fletcher micro-chipped for sure. I'm going to have it done when he get fixed next month.

Melissa

All of my dogs are chipped, the younger dogs were chipped by my vet with Avid. The older dog was chipped by a local rescue and his chip is another company (I don't recall the name). I registered them all with homeagain, except my youngest. I never registered his chip with a company but Avid has the vet information if he gets lost.

Good news. I talked to my vet office today they carry a brand that registrars thur the vet's office. One $50 fee pays for lifetime registration and getting the chip done!!!!! :*nana:

As long as I use my vet we are covered. I LOVE my vet I would never leave. So now Fletcher is all set up to get fixed and micorchipped at the same time. But it was a great tip to have the chip scanned at his regular vet visits, I will make sure to have them do it.

Melissa

Back