Thread: Ear Scratching and Itchy Tummy

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ear Scratching and Itchy Tummy

High everyone, I would love some suggestions for my youngest cavelier "Charlie" he is 3
    He is in very good health, but hcontinually scratches his ears! I wonder that he has any hair left on them, and I have to constantly keep untangling and combing them.
    The other problem is his itcht tummy and around the groin area. My dogs are treated regulary for fleas and worms, but I have checked anyway. I have found one little pink spot, but other than that, the skin is just a little pinker than usual. We have been giving them a drink of semi-skimmed milk recently, wondered if it could be that, but no signs of itching on the other dog. We have laminate flooring, and I thought maybe it could be whatever I have been using to clean the floors. Or maybe it's just the heat, even though it's never stopped raining here, it is very humid. If your caveliers are like mine, they sprawl there legs out like a frog when they lye on their tummy. lol
    I wondered if any og you have any ideas what it could be, or what I could use to stop the itching?

regards____Gran

Post Thanks / Like

There is such a number of reasons that could cause the itching. If it was "just" his ears.. I would say he might have an ear infection. But since you said he also scratches at his tummy... he could have a food allergy. What kind of food do you feed him? Grain free is best!! Also..from all I have ever heard..dogs are most sensitive to milk..so I would stop giving him that. Yogurt ( although some debate it) is more beneficial as it has pro-biotics that help. But that said..it is not something they "need" on a daily basis.
    He also could be allergic to grasses outside.
    Insects ( such as fleas) will cause itching. But you said he is treated for that.
    Chemicals you use on the floor could also be a reason. Also there could be an underlying neurological problem.
    How long have you noticed the itching? Whatever the cause??.. I would have your VET determine the root.
    It cannot be comfortable for him to be itching constantly.
    Best of luck...hope you keep us updated.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All Rounder,
    The ear itching has always happened, I think that maybe it is just with the long ears, he gets too warm. But the tummy itching has only started a few days ago, We only moved into this house at the end of May, and as I say, it is all laminate floors, except for a large rug in the living room. I have been trying out various cleaning products to get a smear free finish. (aaagghhhh) but I somehow think it may be the milk? We have normally not given them milk, but for some reason, we gave them a drink about a week ago, and since then, they go crazy when they see the milk container. So that's the first thing i will stop! If it doesn't improve, we will take him to the vet. Thanks for the suggestions.

Gran

Post Thanks / Like

Our Bentley seems to be allergic to flea bites. He's on flea/worm/etc meds but the vet says they'll get an occasional fleabite anyway, just walking in the yard, and that he's allergic. Last summer he put him on a round of prednisone which really helped and when it started this year I called and asked if I could do it again and the answer was yes. He's just finishing that up and is MUCH better, but I don't know what'll happen when that wears off. It sure makes him drink & pee and for the first time in months he peed on the carpet last night. I felt so bad for him because he had been staring at me and I didn't pick up on what he needed, since he didn't scratch at the door.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a simalar problem with Charlie, sometimes he wee's or even poops in the house, but only on occasion. This is a mystery to us. As I said earlier we have not long moved house (actually it's a ground floor flat) which we dicided to move to because of mobility reasons etc. So we made a point of really praising him when he did it outside in the garden. He has got a lot better, but it has not stopped altogether. I got up the other night to go to the loo, was really groggy and didn't put my slippers on, and nearly fell treading in a puddle of wee!!!! it's such a shame that sometimes we don't read the signals right, and it's usually the owners fault for not noticing. maybe something has bitten him like you say, but I still have a suspicion it may be the milk! just about an hour ago, he pooped in the garden, but then did some inside as well, he was quite loose. Oh I forgot to mention the food he is on. They both have Burns. Prince is on "High Oats" as he is overweight, but Charlie is still on the Burns puppy kibble. They are very small and he is quite a delicate eater. We have tried and tried to find another one that he will eat, mixing them as suggested. But he just picks all the others out and drops them on the floor!!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to give them a bit of milk, you might try goat's milk. I read that many dogs can't digest cow's milk but that most digest goat's milk just fine. I used to give it to my youngest dog when a puppy to help him sleep through the night.

My vet told me that most allergies are environmental and not food-related, but I haven't double checked that statement. I did stop using chemical cleaning agents however. In the kitchen I use a mixture of vinegar and water, which works quite well.

I'm guessing you are in the UK, because you mention feeding Burns. If you are able to buy Gold Bond powder, many of my dog friends use that on itchy spots to soothe. They swear by it. I tend to dab Sulfodene (a bitter tasting antiseptic sold here, not sure about there) and that works to help it heal and keep the dog from licking/chewing, but doesn't relieve the itching. You may well be right about the humidity causing the itching too.

Also, wanted to ask if you have sniffed the ears? If they smell funky or look very dark in the center where they should be pink, you likely have an infected ear. You should check with the vet if so. But cleaning them out with a vinegar/water mixture helps prevent most ear infections before they start.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

You could also try a little " Tea Tree Oil". Just rub a bit on his hot spots..and it will soothe the irritation. It's all natural.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)