• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help, started chewing elecrtical items !!!

quoman

Help please, my 5 yr old Blenheim Charlie has begun going into rooms and started chewing items such as phone chargers, small head phones and even destroyed my sons hearing aids, swallowing parts of the plastic, he has only just started this but has become a very greedy dog lately, even when walking all he does is grab at everything to try and eat it, help !!

What's up with that? At 5 years old all of the sudden? That seems very odd to me, I would check that out with the vet, or a good trainer.

Anyway, for us the best way to stop the chewing is keep cords out of the way and SUPERVISION, if your Charlie can't be trusted to have the run of the house he should follow the same rules as a puppy. Fletcher is just under 5 months old, sure he is doing great with house training and is slowly learning leave it command, but he is either in his crate, in his larger pinned up area or lately tethered to me. After all he is a puppy and not yet trained.

If this really is a new behavior for him I would first want to rule out any medical issues that may cause him to be hungry all the time, then I would seek the advice from a trainer.

Good Luck,
Melissa

LOL..I thought you were referring to a 5 month old puppy as well. I agree w/ Melissa..strange that at this age that he would suddenly start chewing things. Is he extremely bored? Does he get a regular exercise routine? Plenty of toys to keep him occupied? Even if he is older..he still needs some sort of stimulation.
I would certainly keep him gated off from rooms where there are things that could potentially hurt him. You sure don't want him getting a piece of plastic that he cannot pass & then have to undergo surgery.
I too agree that perhaps he might need a good check up w/ the Vet to rule out any medical reasons for the sudden change in behavior.

This sounds random it her could be
Lacking a vitamin or mineral...humans do this too sometimes (like if dogs or humans crave eating sand, they have a silica deficiency. No idea how that relates to electrical, but I thought I would throw it out there!!
Usually a sudden change in behavior can mean sometime medical or something environmental that has changed suddenly...

Thanks for the replies, my other cavi Max is fine but Charlie won't stop begging and hunting for food, every time we leave a room he is straight into the bin, when he walks it is as if all he is doing is looking for food, he's just become a rather naughty and 'very greedy' dog, its not boredom its greed and I don't know how to stop it ?

Definitely check him out with a vet, there are some conditions that cause extreme hunger. It is also worth worming him if that hasn't been done recently.

Otherwise yes supervision is the most important thing, this really is very dangerous behaviour.

A behaviourist would insist on a vet check first anyway, but if the vet does not find anything then ask them for a referral.

Keep us posted please.

Until this is resolved, he shouldn't have run of the house, and shouldn't be in rooms without supervision for his own safety (and that of your stuff!). You should spray something yucky on the really dangerous stuff like electrical cords--in the States we have something called Bitter Yuck that we can buy. Not sure what is available where you are. But I second getting him checked by a vet. It's also possible that he's just bored or needs more exercise. Good luck!

PS--ask your vet to check his mouth and teeth thoroughly. Perhaps he's got a problem tooth and is chewing to relieve that???

I agree_ first make sure this isn't a medical issue (eg pica -- there are many serious underlying health issues that can cause a dog to eat such things including diabetes, thyroid conditions etc: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_coprophagia_and_pica#.T_rjCe3XHzI).

But at root this is also going to be primarily a management issue otherwise or until effectively treated. Do not leave *anything* exposed that should not be eaten. You can get cord/cable covers for electric wires. Block access to all others. Manage him under supervision at all times. Have a few dog safe rooms and restrict him to those.

This is a quite serious issue if ignored (setting aside that a health issue may be left untreated too)-- he can electrocute himself to death chewing on wires or get a fatal/expensive to treat blockage eating things like hearing aids. Both of these are awful ways for a dog to die -- so please be sure to look into the cause while also immediately working to manage his environment so it is safe. (y)

Could it be anxiety? Is there something new going on in your life? new child, new schedule? My labrador chews things when he is anxious. I can tell he is feeling out of sorts when I find something chewed up. A few months ago I left them for longer than usually and came home to a chewed up phone cord.

Back