• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What would you consider a "good dog"?

HowardtheSpanner

A few people I know are driving me absolutely crazy by commenting about Howard, saying he's not a very good dog....

Erm...I don't know what they'd consider good...

Howard has never chewed anything other than a toy in his life; knows a wide range of commands and listens first time, without fail; is very good at recall (not perfect but he's only 10 months); does not steal food; is quiet and calm when he's in the house; will go to his bed when he's told; will drop any item you tell him to, immediately; does commands at a distance etc........

I consider Howard to be a pretty well behaved dog. Nowhere near perfect, but an incredibly easy dog to be around. No, he doesn't like birds or cats and gets overexcited when with his doggy friends but he's not an adult yet. He is incredible with both my children (one of whom is only 10 weeks old).

We go to training every week and they're impressed with how quickly he picks things up. He's a truly wonderful companion who I never tire of being around. ....why do people feel the need to say such rotten things about him. (I'd like to add that two of these people have dogs; one of which still toilets inside and neither of which they can take anywhere public....)

I'm just fed up really........Has anyone else felt picked on in the same way?
(sorry for the rant!)

I dunno - Howard sounds perfect to me! What kind of rotten things do people say about him? I know some people don't like 'toy' dogs in general, and tend to tar them all with the same brush, but honestly, when you get to know a cavalier and his personality, it's hard to be negative (I know I'm biased, but...):p

Who says he isn't a good dog?
And which of his behaviours are they talking about?

He is just a puppy so excitement is normal and to be fair he sounds very well behaved for his age and beyond.

I would ask what it is that he does that makes him a bad dog and then ask yourself if you give a cr@p what they think! ;)

Actually...
I think he sounds terrible and if you get fed up of his awful behaviour... He can come and live with me... ;) ;) lol
(Yes I am trying to steal your well behaved puppy! lol)

All the best, and ignore them.
Mx

I think maybe the are jealous. He sounds very well behaved for a 10 month old. I am hoping my Cody will be that good in another 3 months!!

I say ignore them and keep enjoying your well behaved baby!!

I honestly don't know what it is that they're complaining about. YEs...he's excitable....! He's a puppy! A spaniel puppy! I LOVE that about him! He's a healthy pup...of course it's natural that he wants to play. He adores people and so always greets people like they're long lost friends! BUT...as soon as you tell him to cut is out and calm down.

I know a couple of people compare him to my friends two dogs. One a lab who is 5 and was trained with very harsh methods that I don't agree with at all. She is impeccably behaved but I want a dog who acts like a dog...not an automaton The other is a papillon who has OCD, anxiety and anorexia and dominance issues......exactly what I want from a dog.........! But because he's not excitable and is reasonably well trained (despite his many, many problems) people seem to think he's far better behaved than my poor pup.

I'd love Howard if he was a little sod ALL of the time but I've worked so hard to train him and I'm so proud of how well he's done. Right now he's lying on my feet, fast asleep.:lotsaluv:

Why can't those people see the dog I love!
Thankfully there are many people who adore him!!

Madeline....I'll let you know when my horror of a dog steps out of line!! :p

Hey have you been talking to my sister and brother-in-law!!!! And he's a vet for crying out loud. They drive me up a tree commenting that Fletcher is bad all the time, and don't get me started on what they say about my kids even tho they have 2 perfect angles.......

I think your Howard sounds like a great dog. Fletcher is only 5 month old....

My sister and brother-in-law have 2 dogs. One is so badly behaved, he bites anybody even the kids they can't take him out of the house at all. He also has never been house trained, he's 12 years old they got him at 8 weeks. The other is a happy little mix they took in as a rescue when he was about 2 years old. He's better with people, but is not house trained either. When they bring him to my parents house he has to stay outside if not he'll pee or poop on the carpet. All the other families dogs went on vacation with us last week but not theirs because of their "issues".

Fletcher is a puppy yes he get excited and runs laps around the house and barks to get someone to play with him. Fletcher also has not learned not to beg at the dinner table yet too. But at home we crate him, over at my parents I leave him outside but like clock work one of their sweet little angel children open the door.

I have a teenaged daughter, well I'm a pretty laid back parent with her. She is so mature, and independent I really only need to gently guide her sometimes. Well her and I were talking on the deck away for the rest of the family and she used the F word, big deal I don't care. My sister went on and on at the dinner table later than evening about she is never going to allow her children to use that language in front of her. Then the brother-in-law chimed in that they were going to have better rules with their kids. Their kids are 4 and 7, no they shouldn't allow the F word outta them but mind your own business. My I add their 7 yr old daughter was sent home from school one day this spring for mooning (putting down her pants and showing the whole class her butt) no she did not get in trouble with her parents. They said she was punished enough for being sent home!!!!!! She sensitive! For the sake of my parents I find myself reminding myself I can't fix stupid. My poor husband, sometimes when they are around I think he wishes he was deaf for an hour or so.

Some people are just stupid and you can't fix stupid. Howard is on the right track thank goodness he is owned by you instead of someone think harsh training so the best way to go.

Melissa

I don't know who these people are that are telling you this about your dog..but it just plain isn't very nice of them. Try to ignore them if you can. YOU know you have a sweet little pup....so just ~enjoy~ Their opinion doesn't matter !!

Spuds like your pup is great and just where you want him to be (if not more advanced) as a puppy. You are doing so well actually!!

And to be honest, however you are okay with your dog being is just fine. If you are happy - then the pup is happy and that's all that matters! My little Brooky is now a little over a year and a half and she is a bit of a nut (gets excited and jumps on people) but brilliant, smart and well trained in every way and for us, it is perfection and we love her just the way she is. Now, I have a foster cavvie who is 6 and totally docile, really calm, never jumps, just wants to cruise through everything...they are so different, but I adore them both and each is the perfect fit for the person who chooses to love them. Both different, but both good dogs :)

So yeah...keep on keeping on, your pup sounds amazing!!

Back