• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

worried!!

rosiedream

Hi everyone been a lurker for a while but never posted so please forgive me if i say the wrong thing!!

Rosie is an 11month old ruby and she is perfectly healthy and naughty but she's tiny!! i weighed her last night and she weighs 5 1/2 lb which seems way too tiny compared to most of the results i have found by googling!! any advice or shared experience would be gratefully received. Vicky

Welcome to the board, pleased you have finally decided to post...

5 1/2lb is VERY small for an adult Cavalier. Sadly some breeders are deliberately breeding very tiny "teacup" Cavaliers as these have an appeal.

The UK standard quotes:

Weight - 5.4 - 8.2 kgs (12 - 18 lbs)
I think the US one is 13-18lbs.

Many Cavaliers are above these weights. It is thought that miniaturisation exacerbates some of the existing health issues.

It is good that Rosie is healthy, obviously please do not breed from her [hopefully that was not your intention anyway], she could have serious issues and you could easily lose her. There is lots of information on here about breeding.

I'm not sure if you are still in contact with her breeder, it would be helpful to know the size of her parents and the rest of the litter, and hopefully you can dissuade the breeder from breeding such very small dogs.

There are some other small Cavaliers on the board, we always suggest that they are very closely monitored for health issues as there are some conditions that can cause them to be so small.

I agree with Nicki, 5 1/2 lbs is a really small adult cavalier however, just like people cavalier's come in different sizes. Fletcher is almost 5 months old and weights 12 lbs, the vet says that's a health weight for him now. Fletcher is defiantly going to be a big adult cavalier! As long as your vet thinks she is a healthy weight then its all good. I would love to see a picture of you pup.

I have a 4 year old child who weights 26 lbs, which is the "standard" weight of a 2 year old, but both myself and my husband are short, I'm 5 ft exact and he maybe 3 inches taller than me.

Melissa

irosie is definitely a family pet and will not be bred! thank you both for replying! would post a picture but havent figured out how yet!! i have pics on facebook if you want to peek!! its victoria christensen picture of a chipmunk lol

Hi everyone been a lurker for a while but never posted so please forgive me if i say the wrong thing!!

Rosie is an 11month old ruby and she is perfectly healthy and naughty but she's tiny!! i weighed her last night and she weighs 5 1/2 lb which seems way too tiny compared to most of the results i have found by googling!! any advice or shared experience would be gratefully received. Vicky

Hi Vicki....welcome !!
The others would probably know more than I about the miniature (teacup) Cavalier being bred. Perhaps that is what has happened in your little Cavalier's bloodline??
I agree that at 11 months old...she being only 5 1/2 lb.s is extremely tiny. How small was she & how much did she weigh when you 1st got her? I hope you are able to post a picture. Would luv to see your pup*!
If your Vet continues to tell you that she is healthy..and so forth.. I would not worry. (What all have you had tested that assures you of this?) Perhaps have her checked out more often than usual...just to make sure things continue to stay well. That is very small for a Cavalier.
I think our Wrigley is on the small side of the US scale...as he will be 9 mo's on July 15th..and his weight at the Vets-
( a few weeks ago) was 12.7 lbs. I don't think he is going to get much larger.

photo.php
see if this works (i am about as computer savvy as a slug)

Last edited:
photo.php
see if this works (i am about as computer savvy as a slug)

I have to laugh for you, I have the same problem :)

I also have given the reason for editing a post and I'm blonde LOL

Diane- Fletcher is 5 months old tomorrow and weights 12.5 lbs. I have NEVER had a "normal" sized child (all smaller then most kids their ages), so its nice to me to have one of my "kids" growing above the normal LOL

Melissa

Rosiedream unfortunately you cannot upload a photo from Facebook it needs to be on a photo hosting site like Flickr or photobucket. There are instructions in the FAQ section.

Henry is on the smaller side. He's 7 month old and weighs 7.5 lbs which is 3.4 kg. he's healthy and our vet isn't worried.

Back