• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Training, energy and treats

kjaneb

I'm having a little trouble trying to teach Mabel to sit. We've been training every night this week and I am still having trouble getting her to sit. I still have to lure her with a treat, and her first reaction is to charge right at me, jump on my lap an go after the treats in my hand. When I lure her back to sit, she first jumps, and jumps then finally gets the idea that I want her to put her hands down.

I know this sounds a little weird, but should I use treats she likes less? She gets so excited whenever she gets treats, even ones she hates (the vet was terribly amused when she almost wagged herself off the table when she gave her a liver treat, but then refused to eat it). We're looking at starting puppy classes soon, but I'm worried we're already behind!

[video]https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9E5PaNO1UUuSUtoV0loVHg3QW8[/video]
Just a little video of what's going on, sorry she's not always on screen, I moved recently and my tripod is still at the family house.

Hi, I've been puppy training recently so I can pass on a few tips. First of all I'd recommend that you stand up, keeping the treat out of reach but obviously make sure your pup knows you have it. And then wait.......say no command but the second Mabel's bottom hits the floor, praise and treat - don't give her a chance to jump. If you need to encourage her, move the treat above her nose, moving it back slightly over her head - You will have to be patient but even a pup will realise fairly quickly that sit = treat. Only when Mabel is sitting fairly quickly, then introduce the command. I was amazed how quickly jazz figured it out, but cavaliers are so treat motivated they learn fast!!

I hope this helps a little, let me know how it goes!!!

Well, couldn't watch the video on my iPad. :(

However I think you can skip the treat sometimes so she's not focusing on that. There must be times when she Walks up to you and sits down. Watch carefully for those moments and then say sit, and good girl right whether bottom hits the floor. Shell start to connect the two and then you can start using the word before the action. You can add a hand gesture. The one we use is to extend a hand, palm up, from our waist over the dogs head toward its back. The dogs natural desire if looking at the hand will be to sit down.

Dont worry about being behind in puppy class--the dogs will all be at various levels and most will be just starting out. and sit is the first thing they work on! :)

First I just have to say she so sooooooooo cute. We had this problem with Fletcher with treats as rewards too. He was so fixated on the treat he didn't even see or hear me. So I stopped with the treats as reward, we don't start formal puppy training until later in July but I just like you wanted to teach Fletcher things now. Good boy and that's my good puppy in my happy voice seems to work for me. So far, I have him leashed trained (I would say about every 3 days he pulls and need to be reminded "easy"- I walk him 3 times a day) otherwise he walks with a loose lead even when we see another dog. Fletcher also comes when called, but I would not say he has mastered recall tho. He also is learning leave it, since we already know Fletcher likes to eat things dog should not. He knows my happy sound the kiss kiss and my not to happy sound Ah. I have to remind my husband no to yell the AH, I tell him dogs have better hearing them him so stop yelling, use your normal voice :) So far with supervision and practice I think we're on the right path even with my limited dog training education. But that what the upcoming class is for. I hope the trainer is not all about treat rewards, because I would prefer not to give Fletcher many treats now since he is not eating his meals well.

Don't worry about feeling behind, dogs like kids learn a different rates. I'm looking forward to starting puppy classes I hope its a lot of fun.

Melissa

My newest pup does the same thing. From the video it looks like you are doing it right. It just takes time. I think at this point I would teach her a command to have her wait for the treat. You can use "leave-it" or "wait" or another word you like. Put a treat in your hand right side up so the treat is in your palm and dog can see it. When she lunges for the treat close your hand and say leave-it. Wait until she is calm and looks at you, click, reward. Then you can work on time of the leave-it. The longer she can wait for the reward the better. But always start with a short reward period first.

I don't use a clicker but I use the word yes for marking the behavior. Teaching your dog to be relaxed for the treat will help with the lunging jumping problem you are having with the lure.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I started doing it a little more like the video Tiffany posted and she's getting better. Slowly but surely she seems to be getting it.

Back