• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM and bad weather

daffymum

Hello
We live in London and the weather has been bad for over a month now, constant rain and high humidity. My cavalier that has SM who previously has been pain free for a long time has recent pain episodes.:( We have been to see his neurologist a few days ago and was given additional pain medication to cope. His symptoms are panting, restlessness at night, scratching in the morning. I hope this will settle down. I wonder if anyone has similar experiences.:confused:

Daffymum

Hello Daffymum
Charlie, my cav, has SM too and I've noticed panting and restlessness. Temperatures in the high 20's low 30's with high humidity. He usually sleeps on my lap and when it was cooler he'd barely move, not so in this heat. I hope it's heat related. I've also noticed more air scratching. Charlie's been on gabapentin since January with one dose increase in that time. My other dogs' not cavs, aren't panting like Charlie is--so it's perplexing. I started a thread of my own on this very subject not long ago.
Cheers
Sandra

Hello Sandra
Yes I did read your post. Thanks. I read that human sufferers have reported they are more uncomfortable during barometric changes.Thankfully Daffy's uncomfortable episodes has reduced, slept right through last few nights, he still scratches when excited in the morning, I gave him 1/2 capsule Tramadol as recommended by his neurologist at night. I am planning to withdraw this when he is not in pain like recent. She also suggested to get a dog cooling bed for him which I have ordered. Has your dog's episodes quieten down.

Both my dogs one with SM the other with symptomatic CM have been bad at night during the last month. I have to be up at 4 am to give Ebony her first Gabapentin. I just give her 1 extra tablet a day at the moment. Tramadol makes mine too sleepy.

Hello again
Charlie is quite restless as I post--it's 11:15 a.m. and humid. He did air scratch when I got up at 6:00 a.m. and gave him his first meds. It's hard to determine whether the SM is worsening or if it is weather related.
I don't know if Charlie sleeps through the night when it's much cooler. Time will tell I guess.
Sandra

My Rebel is sensitive to changes in temperature, light and rises and falls in atmospheric pressure. I've bought a barometer so that I can tell when it is going to change significantly and adjust his medication. So far so good.

Hi Sandra
Sorry to hear about Charlie's restlessness. I do hope its weather related. Daffy hasn't scratched so much last 2 days and I haven't given him the tramadol. He is on his usual pregabalin twice a day. Please let me know if Charlie's condition improves.

For those in the UK, the BBC weather website gives very detailed information (you can centre it on your area) for the following 2 days, including an hourly air pressure figure, and then a summary for the next 3 days. The pressure's been going up and down like a yo-yo in recent weeks, so it's not surprising our dogs are struggling.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi Kate
Thanks for the information.
Today weather isn't good again,rain expected and Daffy seem to scratch a bit more.
Its funny how I have not noticed this before in the past year, so my conclusion is that it the medication must be controlling it well.

Back