Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does my dog need heart worm preventative in the UK? In Europe?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard of a rabid dog in ages, in our area. Our local skunks often test positive for it, along with possums. For that reason, when I have to trap (with Havahart trap) one or the other, our local animal control will come get it and euthanize solely for the rabies problem. I think because not as many dogs run loose in our urban settings, there is less transmission from the wild animals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have found these absolutely invaluable http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/

It's only really June to September that the midges are a problem and mainly mornings and evenings, still warm, conditions are best for them

Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    I haven't heard of a rabid dog in ages, in our area. Our local skunks often test positive for it, along with possums. For that reason, when I have to trap (with Havahart trap) one or the other, our local animal control will come get it and euthanize solely for the rabies problem. I think because not as many dogs run loose in our urban settings, there is less transmission from the wild animals.
    If it is in your wildlife then rabies is endemic in your region. If a dog were to fight with a rabid skunk, raccoon, fox, etc they would be exposed. Vaccination would be absolutely neccesary in your area. Bats are also a common carrier of rabies in some regions of the US.

Rabies can infect all species of mammals, although very small mammals (mice, chipmunks, squirrels, etc.) are rarely found positive. They believe this is simply because these animals are unlikely to survive an attack from a rabid animal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We are rabies free in Ireland as well so don't need to do rabies vaccines.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Soushiruiuma - don't worry, we are ALL required by law to have our dogs vaccinated against rabies.