• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisy's SM

Brian M

Hi

We saw her neuro last night for a progress check ,I advised she is still scratches occasionally, but not a lot, and that her
medication of 2x100 mg Gabapentin from what I can see has not really made any great change to her scratching .I requested
a possible increase of the Gabapentin from 2 daily to 3 but her neuro wanted to include Omeprazole into her meds and of course
did not want to vary two meds at the same time so it was decided to proceed with the inclusion of the 10 mg of Omeprazole for
a three week trial then possibly increase the Gabapentin to 3x daily if needed .Her daily meds are now 3x50 mg Zitac ,2x100 mg
Gabapentin and 1x daily of 10 mg Omeprazole .I asked why would she take both the Zitac and Omep if they are both CSF reducers
and was advised that the Zitac acts as a fluid reducer and the Omep acts to try and reduce the production of spinal fluid ,am I right here or am I suffering from information overload . Any comments ,thoughts,advice or guidance most welcome please .

Daisy unfortunately has what was a small pimple on her left side which has now developed into a larger fibrous cyst/wart which I know has to be removed so I have arranged an appointment with a surgeon at C/Gates right after we see her neuro in three weeks time ,so tonight its off to my local Vets with Daisy to ask for a referral letter to them on the grounds that as she has a Grade 4 murmur I would like C/Gates to operate as they have a full time anaesthetist and a complete range of emergency equipment . My poor Daisy .:(

My Dawn's hospital appointment last Friday resulted in the endoscophy finding more ulcers some of which are still bleeding and with her
colonoscophy she found it to be too painful halfway through the procedure and told them to stop. So she has been summoned back to
see her consultant who wants her to have the colonoscophy again ,we go on .:(

Hello Brian, sorry your going through so much lately, with your family, i work in theatres, unfortunately sometimes with colonoscopys patients find this procedure very uncomfortable, everyone is different, did she have sedation? Hopefully next visit they will offer her additional painkiller. My thoughts are with you. Karen Ruby and Sadie :hug:

Sorry things are tough Brian, sending you and your family positive thoughts and love. Can't they give Dawn an anesthetic to help with the colonoscopy?

Sending good thoughts to all of you and hope all the medical issues get sorted out in the best possible way.

Hi

Thanks Joyce you are a star and a best mate .I have been in from work since 6.00 pm and I haven't seen my Daisy scratch once.
Team bella I think thats there next plan ,thanks for caring .

Hi

Daisy has been on her omeprazole for almost a week together with her Zitac and Gabentin and she is a different girl .HURRAH :*nana::jmp::dogwlk:

Hi

Daisy has been on her omeprazole for almost a week together with her Zitac and Gabentin and she is a different girl .HURRAH :*nana::jmp::dogwlk:

So glad that it is helping. I know how you are feeling. I sometimes feel like pulling my hair out with this dreaded SM.

Thats great news Bri:D so glad Daisy is more comfortable,bless

keep yer chin up& very best wishes to your Dawn x

So often dealing with SM seems to be faffing around trying this and that until you stumble on the right mix and dosage of medication for your particular dog. Glad you've found it for Daisy (at least for the moment - no doubt it will need tweaking at some future date!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi

Thanks all for your kind comments ,my Daisy remain a scartch free zone but her snoring has gone up three notches is this a counter balance I wonder .

My Dawn reported another severe nose bleed this morning which tells me she is still losing blood from her tummy ,we ggo back on Thurs pm to her consultant
to see where we go from here .

Hi

Dawns been to her consultant and she has her sedated Colonoscophy on the 3rd Nov and starting tomorrow a course of six Vit B12 injections one every other day then one every three months till whenever .Onward we go .

We also take Daisy tomorrow to her Neuro and Surgeon at Chestergates for a look at her lump and how to sugically remove it and a check up on her SM medication .

I hope the injections helps Dawn feel stronger. The sooner she gets that colonoscopy done the better.

Fingers are crossed that Daisy gets sorted out soon.

Hi
We went to see Daisy's Neuro today and she is pleased with her progress and we leave her as she is and return in 3 months . After Ulrike we saw Francois the soft tissue
expert ,he spoke and asked questions about Daisy for a good 30 mins before a very thorough all over medical .He advised me about all the types of lumps and the problems
faced with her Grade 4 murmur if we proceed with surgery under a very carefully monitored GA ,he then proceeded to do a needle aspiration and to ring me tomorrow with the results .I think whatever the result, but hope its just something like a sebaceous cyst and not anything that begins with a c we will remove as if it continues over time getting larger and Daisy's murmur gets worse we will have a bigger problem so we decided now is the time for removal and as I say if its sebaceous or fatty we remove a small amount of tissue if its more serious we remove a larger amount of tissue but I don't want the risk of not operating now as it is .The appointed day is Friday ,any thoghts please .
I do so pray my decision is the right one pls

thks

brian

Hi Brian,

Any decision you make for Daisy will be the right one. I know all your decisions about the health and welfare of your girls are made with great thought, research and consideration to their well being. I know you are worried, but do not doubt yourself.

So glad Daisy's Neuro appointment went well. I will keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome on the biopsy. Let us know tomorrow when you hear the results.

I think you are very right in your decision for Daisy to if necessary have a removal, as you say the problem will only getter worse if the murmur gets worse, as she gets older as there is always a risk with a GA. This is the reason why we cancelled Jasper`s pet insurance a year ago and just save the money for his medication, as we know with a 12 year old dog with a grade 6 murmur, he could never have an operation, but luckily he is jogging on quite nicely on a day to day basis. Hope all goes well with Daisy.

Hi
Daisy's Bump
Francois the soft tissue surgeon just phoned the lump is not cancerous ,Thank Heavens ,he told me the type of lump it was but I couldn't get my head around his French accent and my O Level german/latin is no help .We operate on Friday at 10.30 morning he will remove an area about 25 mm in diameter of soft tissue, Daisy will be under just enough anaesthetic to knock her out and depending on Dangerous Daisy's recovery she may come home Friday night or latest saturday morning ,Francois also said that because of the type of lump it is it probably would continue growing but would he not expect it to return after removal.Francois has also worked with the one and only Simon Swift and that because of Daisy's Grade 4 heart murmur he will have the head of anaesthesia present and his main areas of interest are cardio-respiratory emergencies, neuroanaesthesia .I hope my decision is the right on

hi
i will be thinking about daisy on friday and hope everything goes alright for her
give daisy a big kiss and cuddle from louie and his mum

Back