• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lady's...ahm...getting a little bit frisky.

ladybug11

I'm actually away from Lady now for the first time :( I miss her so much! But I'll be back with her Monday afternoon, and until then she's staying with my mom. It was a long-ish trip to see my grandparents, but really I had to go. I feel guilty leaving her..10 days feels like a century. Funny how attached you get! :luv:

ANYWAY my whole point is that of course I make my mother update me every day, and yesterday she updated me that Lady has started humping my old teddy bear!! UM, excuse me! How rude. From what I've been reading, it's not necessarily a sexual thing (although she is almost 8 months old now) and she can be taught not to do it? But is everything ok?? Obviously she's my first dog. The family dog we had when I was a kid was a German Shepard, and he was kind of old, and I don't remember him ever doing that...just wanted to see what this is all about.

She has an appointment to get fixed on August 3 regardless. Is this a stress thing? Or a dominance thing? Why on earth does she feel she has to dominate my teddy bear??? Even though we had the GS before, my mom never had much to do with the training. She's always been more of a cat person. And she wants to know what she should do, because obviously we want to be consistent.

I just can't help but think this is a little bit funny...but I'm also kind of a worrier :confused: is this normal???

Did you read my post this week about Fletcher? Well this seem to be a topic in my life lately too. The humping can be happening for several reasons, her age, you're away, dominating the teddy bear......take a pick. Fletcher is my first puppy so I'm worrying about everything as well. I never worried this much about my kids (but then again I have always been around babies and little kids not dogs) Personally I don't want Fletcher humping things either, when he tries it to my 4 yr old son my husband really gets annoyed, so I try to distract him into doing something else. You should ask your Mom to redirect her into playing a little ball or something she likes. Also I think she should put the poor teddy bear away:rolleyes: Try not to worry too much you left your pup in good hands, I'm sure your Mom is taking good care of her. My Mom has 4 other dogs in the house and she is dying for me to go away so she can keep Fletcher for a few days. Too bad, we are going away next weekend but Fletcher is coming with us. I love that cavalier's travel so well.

Melissa

Ha that's somewhat of a relief that someone else is experiencing the same thing. I did go back and read your post...yes, next time (since Lady will be older and presumably better behaved) I'm bringing her with me. I did some more reading and the humping is a behavior that can be discouraged like any other. So I told my mom to take the poor teddy away and give a firm NO if she tries to do it again.

I cannot wait to cuddle my puppy when I get home.

Sonny never did this to much, but I agree with Melissa that distracting them with another activity, toy or command is the best way to stop it. We would give him something else to do and like I said he stopped this behavior pretty quickly. Good luck!

hi
my louie hump's his bed he's being doing this since i first got him at 8 weeks old and he is 4 yrs old gone may
i take his bed of him but soon as my back is turned he's of again

Back