• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Letting our puppy sleep in bedroom at night after one week

I let Lady sleep in bed with me from day 1, except she is also crate trained during the day because that is where she stays while I am at work (although Im considering moving towards the kitchen-crate set up). She did have a couple accidents in bed but I learned to tell when she wanted to go pee when she wakes up and starts walking around the bed. Im a pretty light sleeper so I wake up right away to take her out, but by 4 months she knew not to go on the bed anymore.

I remember reading a book about cavaliers before getting Lady, and the author mentioned that many become "cavalier bonnets" if you let them sleep in your bed. I wasnt dissapointed :) She sleeps curled around my neck or under the blankets in the crook of my knees, shes so funny. Im picking up a 3 year old year blenheim girl in a couple weeks, so it looks like I might be smothered, but Im SO looking forward to it. Future boyfriends may not be so impressed...LOL

So its kind of like having kids. You read all the books and try and do everything correct. I must have every book written about Cavaliers and read them all when I was waiting for Bodie. And then you get the puppy.... And it doesn't always work the way you thought it would. Bodie would have been soooo unhappy if he had not been close to us in the beginning. He slept quietly in his crate next to our bed for many months. Then he would end up in our bed from time to time and before long he was sleeping with us. We love having him in our bed and wouldn't have it any other way. But you will find what works best for you. There are no wrong answers with these guys as they just want to please you and make you happy. Enjoy every puppy moment- good and bad! They will only be that age once.

So its kind of like having kids. You read all the books and try and do everything correct. I must have every book written about Cavaliers and read them all when I was waiting for Bodie. And then you get the puppy.... And it doesn't always work the way you thought it would. Bodie would have been soooo unhappy if he had not been close to us in the beginning. He slept quietly in his crate next to our bed for many months. Then he would end up in our bed from time to time and before long he was sleeping with us. We love having him in our bed and wouldn't have it any other way. But you will find what works best for you. There are no wrong answers with these guys as they just want to please you and make you happy. Enjoy every puppy moment- good and bad! They will only be that age once.

Great answer....and so true*

You may have read all the books but I'm sure your puppy hasn't read a word. Sometimes you just have to go with your heart when it comes to raising things.....pets, kids even the veggie garden.

Melissa

You are absolutely right and I have found that what worked for Bodie has not worked for my daughter's dog Buckley! They are as different as night and day coming from the same breed.

Luke started out in his crate in my room when I first got him. Once I could trust him through the night, he moved into my bed. He usually sleeps in the bottom corner. Sometimes he sleeps between my knees, but I usually move him or move my leg out from around him or it does all sorts of weirdness to my hips. Sometimes he'll go sleep on the floor. I had a bed for him when he was a puppy, but he always peed on it, so actually, the cat has that bed now. He got a bed for the holidays from a friend of mine (I am in a local dog walking group. We had a holiday party, and I decided to take the gift in the big box for him). He has slept on it occasionally, or sometimes he will sleep on a piece of laundry that missed the basket. I guess he does that if it gets too hot. Usually my other dog, who is 40lbs, sleeps in Luke's little bed. She is allowed in the bed, but I think I moved around too much and kicked her, so she left.

Back