Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Letting our puppy sleep in bedroom at night after one week

Post Thanks / Like

When we first got Dillon he slept in his crate in the hallway where it was coolest (August is V. hot and humid here) I slept for weeks on our hallway sofa (I'm an easy sleeper...) and woke myself every 2-3 hours to take him outside, then back to his crate. Within weeks I'd gradually left longer and longer between get ups, so I was making just the one or two and quite soon he was going through the night and I'd moved back upstairs to bed....then once he was a little more trustworthy around the house we let him choose either his crate or with us - now its summer again and he's with us in the bedroom on the cold floor....Dillon is just turned 1 year. I can honestly say that only once did he cry at night and that was when he was teething so we just brought him to bed and he settled and slept fine. We have both our dogs in the bedroom and feel very comfortable with them being there, but I accept it is a matter of personal choice

Post Thanks / Like

Having never had an inside dog, we did so many things wrong with Bentley. He turned out wonderfully in spite of us. It never occurred to us to have him in our room at night; he slept in a crate in the next room andI was able to hear him if he needed to potty. That was from January to November when he had knee surgery. We couldn't get him in the crate with the 'cone' on his head so moved his bed to the bedroom and he's been there ever since. He can tell when it's about bedtime. He waddles in, usually before we start moving that way, and stays there all night without a peep. Hubby has been caught with him in the bed a couple of times, something he swore would NEVER happen! Of course, he swore we'd never have an inside dog, too...

Post Thanks / Like

When we first brought Sonny home he slept in his crate in our guest bedroom, however a couple of months ago we moved his crate to our bedroom. I love having his crate in our bedroom because I can hear his little sighs and soft little snores. So cute! He loves his crate and puts himself to bed when he is tired.

We chose crate training for a number of reasons, but I personally have stuck with it even after he has been potty trained because he seems to love his crate and I don't want him to become unaccustomed to it and then stress out when he has to sleep in there when he is at his dog sitter's house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashleighelizabeth View Post
    We chose crate training for a number of reasons, but I personally have stuck with it even after he has been potty trained because he seems to love his crate and I don't want him to become unaccustomed to it and then stress out when he has to sleep in there when he is at his dog sitter's house.
    Yes, we've kept our crate as our older dog, a cocker spaniel so likes it.....plus Dillon is very happy going in it when asked, and just a place of quiet and calm - in fact we hardly notice the crate is there anymore though we have tried to disguise it with a matching colour curtain over the top. He is totally at home in his den.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dillboy View Post
    Yes, we've kept our crate as our older dog, a cocker spaniel so likes it.....plus Dillon is very happy going in it when asked, and just a place of quiet and calm - in fact we hardly notice the crate is there anymore though we have tried to disguise it with a matching colour curtain over the top. He is totally at home in his den.........

I believe dogs should continue to use their crates their whole lives. My parents learned this the hard way once. When we were kids we had a dog (small breed) actually get on TOP of the fridge and eat all our Halloween candy, 3 buckets full! Luckily it did not kill the dog but after that all dogs were crated whenever we left the house.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

many thanks for your help, it has been so helpful.

So I think I will go ahead and allow our pup to sleep in the crate on the bedroom floor during the night.
    As I have never had a pup before, do they make noises when they need the loo or is it just a case of waking up every couple of hours during the night to take him down to go to the toilet.

Many thanks

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dillboy View Post
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/94727587...earch_type=all

I want to get one of these crate covers from Etsy eventually, but I keep waiting to see if we are going to need a bigger crate or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness!!! please don't tempt me............... that cover is so much nicer than my efforts....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

Sonny from the beginning would always let us know when he needed to go out. I can't remember exact ages, but I know by about 3 or 4 months he was only waking up once a night. Remember to not let him have play time on these midnight outings, he should just go out there and do his business and then go right back to his crate. Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of your little one!

Quote Originally Posted by markyyyyyy View Post
    Hi all,

So I think I will go ahead and allow our pup to sleep in the crate on the bedroom floor during the night.
    As I have never had a pup before, do they make noises when they need the loo or is it just a case of waking up every couple of hours during the night to take him down to go to the toilet.

Many thanks

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markyyyyyy View Post
    Hi all,

Many thanks

Mark

Most dog do not want to potty where they sleep. If you hear your puppy wake during the night I would take him potty then right back in the crate. Since like babies, your goal is to get them to sleep thur the night so I would not recommend waking a puppy or a baby at night. Fletcher is my first puppy ever too, so I was super stressed about potty training but if you follow "the rules" it was easy.

The Rules:

1. Go out, go out , go out.......take your puppy to use the potty outside like every hour and a half or so, I found a schedule worked well. Praise when he does right.
    2. SUPERVISION if the puppy is more than arms length away from someone actively watching them you are giving him too much freedom.
    3. Clean up accidents quickly and all the way, use a good pet cleaner to clean up after accidents you need to try and remove all the smell.
    4. Time, with Fletcher it really didn't take long. Tho he had not had an accident in more than 3 weeks, I still watch him closely....

Melissa