• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice please

ashleighelizabeth

I am switching Sonny from his current flea treatment to Comfortis and I don't know which dosage to buy for him. His weight currently fluctuates between 19.5-20.5 lbs. I am not sure whether to buy him the dosage for 10-20 lb dogs or the one for 20-40 lb dogs. I want to give him a strong enough dosage for the treatment to work, but I also don't want to over treat him. I'm stumped....Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't know where in the US you live or weather you take Sonny around other dogs/people. I live in flea and tick heaven, and Fletcher is around numerous other dogs and people. At puppy class, the vets, my parents house (all dog are treated there but..), stopped by the groomers the other day for a quick nail clip (yes, I gave up) and so on... I would try the lower dose first, however if it doesn't work you are going to need to call the vet for another option. Fletcher picked up fleas about a week before his next dose of AdvantixII was due, I called the vet and they were able to give me some pills to cover him for 5 days then treat with Frontline. We have had better luck with Frontline but....you never know. I wanted to use a more natural approach to treat fleas but they are just too bad here for me to comfortably try now. Plus there is the tick issue. I say go with 10-20lbs and hope for the best. I won't use the 20-40lbs without talking to my vet.

Melissa

Thanks Melissa,

I agree with you about trying to do the lesser dosage first. I actually just got a hold of my vet and I can buy a single dose to just try it out and see what I think. I live on the central coast of California and we have very mild weather all year round here, but from August-October is our "summer" and warmest time, so I want to make sure we have something that works!

Also I was going to let you know, that Comfortis is a chewable, so there is no chance of it getting rinsed off. I know that you take Fletcher swimming a lot , so Comfortis might be a good option for you??? I know the topical stuff is supposed to come back to the surface after a bath, but I have always been a little skeptical of how much gets rinsed off. However the downside of Comfortis is that it only kills adult fleas. I guess there are pros and cons to everything. :)

You can try the lower dose first, but keep in mind the stronger dose is available.

The heart worm/flea tick meds on the market are quite safe, and i would expect there would be no danger with giving the higher dose. I would defer to any advice you receive from a vet on that matter though.

I use the up to 10kg strength for Oliver, although he sometimes weighs up to 10.5kg, and it doesn't seem to make any difference. When he's so little over the limit, I think the 11-15kg strength might be a bit strong - we are, after all, inserting chemicals into their bodies. I used Frontline for several years, but it didn't prevent both Aled and Oliver from getting a flea infestation earlier this year. I've now changed them to Advantage and it works much better.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks guys! I am hoping the Comfortis works. I have always used Advantage II which works really well, but I am hoping this is just as effective!

I am glad that I can buy a single dose at the vet that way I can try the lower dose first to see if it works.

We have been using trifexis. It's a pill so no need to worry about washing off. The down side is it isn't supposed to cover ticks, although knock on wood we haven had a single one. I'm in coastal Carolina... Flea heaven, all year round.

We have been using trifexis. It's a pill so no need to worry about washing off. The down side is it isn't supposed to cover ticks, although knock on wood we haven had a single one. I'm in coastal Carolina... Flea heaven, all year round.

The other down side is it's expensive. It's a good product though.

Yes, I pay 23 or 26 dollars each pill (I'm too lazy to look at the ladt bill)I've been buying individual pills because at 10 pounds they need a different dose. It's a bit cheaper if I buy 6 months at a time, which I will do after 10 pounds.

Yes, I pay 23 or 26 dollars each pill (I'm too lazy to look at the ladt bill)I've been buying individual pills because at 10 pounds they need a different dose. It's a bit cheaper if I buy 6 months at a time, which I will do after 10 pounds.

That price sounds about right. My vet has a "new puppy pack" they hand out at the first visit, it includes one month of sentinel, and after that they were up to the larger size. (obviously big dogs will take much longer to get to their full adult dose)

My cavaliers both ended up being petit so we buy the 10-20 lbs size. I like that both of mine are in the same weight category and I don't have to buy and manage different doses for each.

Back