• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Guess who has a new addition to the family!!

BrooklynMom

Meet Toby :) He is a 6 year old rescue that we just adopted!! Well, we were fostering him, but soon realised that he had lots of health issues, some mental issues (he has quite a tragic background) and I just felt, no one would want to adopt him with all the medical investment required or they might not know how to handle his "special needs", but I know we can handle it and Brooky is SUCH a comfort to him, is teaching him so much and has even taught him how to play with his first toy. At the end of the day, I know he needs Brooky and finds such comfort in her, she is his rock...so he is staying!

He got a bunch of teeth pulled yesterday which were rotted and infected and his K9's were completely worn down from years of cage chewing. He is deaf, but Brooky always goes and gets him when I ask and he has grade three luxating patella's and will need those operated on in the next 6 months. He is also deathly afraid of crates and baby gates, but seems okay if Brooky is near and we have covered the baby gate with a blanket and even though Brooky is crate trained and loves her crate, we removed those and that fixed his fright. He sleeps a lot and seems older than his years, but we are slowly bringing him around. We have already got him down 3 kg!! He is a health weight now with no heart murmur either :)

Welcome home Toby!

79d5a1ae-57c4-c206.jpg

Blessings on little Toby and you for taking care of him. What a sweet face he has. It's nice to know he has a new best friend and a cushy life in front of him.

Oh my goodness, he is precious. And you are both dolls for taking care of his long list of needs.

Thanks for sharing this news, I LOVE good news. And LOVE the pictures!

What a beautiful picture of both of them. You sure are taking on a lot, but I'm sure with your love and support, he will thrive and be a wonderful and loving companion. Keep us posted on his progress.

Toby deserves you guys, so glad you failed at fostering him :) Brooklyn sounds like the best sister EVER!!!!! and they are so cute together.

Melissa

Wow...Toby's luck changed when he fell in to your life. It sounds like the poor little guy has had such a sad start thank heavens he's now yours.
It will be interesting to hear how he will now blossom and become what every cavalier hould be.

Well done to you and Brooky.

Mel X

You're awesome BrooklynMom! :) That really touches my heart that you and your puppy (who has grown up so fast) took in Toby and that he's doing so much better already. They are an attractive pair!!!

Fantastic Kelsey that is just wonderful :) Poor Toby has had a rotten time and it's lovely that he can now be loved and have Brooklyn to teach him how to be a dog and not be so afraid of everything :( It looks like they bonded straight away, amazing how that happens sometimes - and he was obviously meant to be with you.

Congratulations Kelsey! What a happy ending for Toby to have found his forever family with you guys. Brooky and Toby could not look any sweeter snuggled up together. I absolutely love the pictures. Can't wait to see more of Toby!

Love the pictures and the story behind Brooklyn and Toby's quickly found friendship. Thanks for sharing! Such an inspiring story :)

Very sweet story..and they look to love each other.... I think you made a wonderful decision in keeping him.
Bless you*

Thanks everyone!!! It is hard, but wonderful too. Toby just had a lot of stuff to get through. He is so sweet to us 100% of the time and so sweet to Brooky 90% of the time ;) he has some toy guarding issues with her (not with us at all and not with food), but she wants to play, and he thinks she is trying to take it from him and sometimes snaps pretty bad. I am not sure how to deal with that kind of stuff, so will probably get a trainer out here to teach me all these new things. I know how how to raise a puppy with ease, but a rescue is something so different. We will get there though!

Will write another post soon with a collection of questions for others with rescue experience :)

For now, we just are learning to become a family (and how to deal with all this dog hair! Ha).

So happy Toby found his way into your life and now has Brooklyn and yourself to look out for him xx

Back