• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stinky Tears?

Calandra

When I clean the "sleep" out of Chloe's eyes, I notice it smells funky. I don't believe she has an eye infection or anything, but I figured I would ask if all of you notice the same thing with your CKCSs. (If not, maybe I should get her checked... or I wonder if Angel Eyes, which is supposed to stop tear staining, would also minimize that smell.)

Calandra.

Angle Eyes has antibiotics in them and my vet told me to stay away from them for that reason. To me a funky smell would mean a sign of something not right. Cavaliers are prone to eye problems so if Fletcher would to come up with this problem I would have it checked out with me vet, just to be safe. Fletcher is not yet 6 months old, so I'm a fairy new cavalier parent, I know cavalier sometimes have more runny eyes during teething.

Melissa

A slightly odd smell in tears is pretty normal for many cavaliers and small breeds generally (not necessarily what you are seeing though as I note below) -- the fur gets damp and then it seems that yeasts can live in that damp fur, causing a slight yeasty smell and often a reddish tinge. Very common as many of us can testify! Puppies seem to have more problems than adults -- I have heard breeders suggest that perhaps they eye fits better with the skull when they are an adult. You can gently clean the eye area -- with a cotton ball with water for example or the many eye cleaners around (a vet may have a recommendation). Of course do this carefully and always moving away from the eye, not rubbing over the eye!

I have one cavalier that actually likes to lick off the eyes of the other dogs -- no doubt likes the taste of whatever gets in their fur. :rolleyes:

If there's gunk gathering in the eye then please do have a vet check it asap -- can be dry eye or eye injury causing the tearing or gunk, and the dog could need medication or eye lubricants.

Many (most?) dogs would not really produce 'sleep' gunk as a norm (none of mine do unless they have had an eye problem!) and it could well indicate dry eye, inturned eyelashes scraping her eye which would need attention, a corneal scratch -- etc -- so really this is worth a vet visit as they can damage eyesight rapidly if problems are left untreated.

Okay - thanks Melissa and Karlin. I hope it's nothing serious, but I will get it checked to be sure. She doesn't have a lot of gunk, but does have a little but in the inner corner of her eyes in the morning like me, so I thought it was normal.

My 6 month old puppy has had a fair amount of "gunk" in her eyes since I got her. I usually wipe it out at least once a day, sometimes twice. Its not a huge amount, but enough that it should be wiped away. I thought this was normal, but if you say the gunk is not very common I will have my vet check it out at the next visit.

Back