Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MomObvious View Post
    Yeah I thought the same things this dog was not a loving member of the family...
    Melissa
    Just nitpicking. I suspect the dog was a loving family member, I'm doubting the people.

Imagine if you left a wrist watch on your child so tight for so long that the skin underneath died and got infected, they'd call the authorities!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You do wonder how no one could notice the festering wound under the collar... I do totally understand missing other things like strange lumps and bumps or suddenly swollen anal glands for example as most dog owners don't handle their entire dog every single day or check all these places, but I'd handle/stroke/massage my dogs around the neck and face every day and handle their collars too (I mean if you are walking the dog daily most would be doing so on a collar, for a larger dog like this)-- and how tight must a collar be on, to miss such discomfort? There should always be a comfortable one or two-fingers' looseness on a dog collar; it should never ever be snug.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

We are fenced, and Henry is still walked out on a leash several times a day. I wish they would outlaw these horrid devices! There are better options. I can't see how this poor dogs wounds festered and stank before being noticed. Like Karlin I brush over Henry everyday and feel all around his body while petting him. His collar is removed when he's put in his crate and when he comes to bed with me (his tags jingle). It's not that difficult to remove and clip on a collar :-/.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

As most of you mentioned...if this dog was a part of the family....one would think it would be petted and loved on "daily". It is rather sad this was not noticed sooner.
    I just wonder if it was strictly used for hunting..and nothing more?

I know many times I see hunting dogs kept outside in what I consider " small" enclosures. My nephew is a well known Dentist in our area who is also an avid hunter. He lives in almost a million dollar home. He has 2 labradors. Neither of them are ever allowed inside. The poor things seem to have a life where they are ignored ( except for food & water) until time to go hunting.
    I asked about this?..and was told that it makes for a better hunting dog if not shown a bunch of affection. He said it keeps them more focused if they just get praise when they bring back a duck/pheasant or what have you.
    I didn't know what to say?
    ...I love my nephew..but does that sound like nonsense or what?

P.S. Glad my husband was never into hunting...
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DZee View Post
    As most of you mentioned...if this dog was a part of the family....one would think it would be petted and loved on "daily". It is rather sad this was not noticed sooner.
    I just wonder if it was strictly used for hunting..and nothing more?

I know many times I see hunting dogs kept outside in what I consider " small" enclosures. My nephew is a well known Dentist in our area who is also an avid hunter. He lives in almost a million dollar home. He has 2 labradors. Neither of them are ever allowed inside. The poor things seem to have a life where they are ignored ( except for food & water) until time to go hunting.
    I asked about this?..and was told that it makes for a better hunting dog if not shown a bunch of affection. He said it keeps them more focused if they just get praise when they bring back a duck/pheasant or what have you.
    I didn't know what to say?
    ...I love my nephew..but does that sound like nonsense or what?

P.S. Glad my husband was never into hunting...
    My husband's family belongs to a duck club and he grew up hunting with his dad, grandpa and brother. They had two golden retrievers at different times while he was growing up that they took hunting. Both of these dogs had been professionally trained to hunt at these summer camps they would go to for like 3 months at a time. My husband said it was so sad when they had to drop the dog off, but picking him up was always the best. But both of these dogs were always a part of their family and would be in the house and loved and cuddled like any other pet. That is so sad for the hunting dogs that are never given any affection and not treated like a pet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A few years ago we left our rottweiler with a boarding kennel and without our consent they used an electric collar on him the whole week stay. When we got home we found two injuries that looked like burn marks on his neck. The vet said it was from having the collar on the whole time and it caused the same injury as the dog in the story. Luckily it was only on for the week. We have never taken our dogs back to the facility.
    OMG, missed this before. Real jaw-dropping stuff -- I would think possibly the basis of legal action too if not specifically indicated to clients that they will treat dogs this way! And so sad -- I suspect they felt perhaps that a rottie because of breed had to be 'safely' managed in this inhumane and potentially dangerous way (not just to his physical health but also potentially creating an aggressive dog). Sad such ignorant people are running a dog care facility!!

The story of the labs makes me think of the line farmers often take with collies -- that they cannot neuter them or they don't manage sheep as well, hence the females often have endless litters they dump into pounds (at best) and very often simply drown or kill in other ways. I've known hunters with hunting dogs and all were family dogs as well. Labs are such people-oriented dogs -- hate to think of a life in kennels.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashleighelizabeth View Post
    My husband's family belongs to a duck club and he grew up hunting with his dad, grandpa and brother. They had two golden retrievers at different times while he was growing up that they took hunting. Both of these dogs had been professionally trained to hunt at these summer camps they would go to for like 3 months at a time. My husband said it was so sad when they had to drop the dog off, but picking him up was always the best. But both of these dogs were always a part of their family and would be in the house and loved and cuddled like any other pet. That is so sad for the hunting dogs that are never given any affection and not treated like a pet.
    My brother-in-law..and our nephew?....yeah..they all belong to a Duck club as well. Hunting & fishing is their thing. They seem to go every weekend.
    I don't understand though..this is how they have always viewed their dogs...and it makes me sad.
    Truthfully..I would love to go sit in the kennel w/ them and hug on them awhile. I am sure he cares about them or loves them in his own way.....but to ME? ..it is selfish to to use a dog strictly like this. I think any animal deserves to be shown love and affection. Even if those dogs LIVE to go out hunting...I just believe it wouldn't deter their retrieving abilities one bit if allowed to be more a part of the family.
    Our brother-in-law no longer owns a dog..but he did the same thing. Their dog/s were for hunting only & lived outdoors.
    Just sad.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)