Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh no the cone of shame!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. None of our dogs wore one. The Vet sent home one ( just as protocol) ..but I removed it. We always had the laser surgery done w/ our males...so they healed very quickly. Our Vet is a good friends of ours....and says that she rarely... if ever has seen a dog break open the incision. They are too smart to want to hurt themselves. In fact..they never even seemed to notice anything was done..and left that area alone.
    *Diane ~ Mom to~
    Wrigley ( Cavalier) Zeb ( Labrador) & Jake ( Labradoodle)

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher is scheduled for surgery Thursday morning. I know (in town) where I can buy a soft e-collar but I'm going to play that by ear. I am armed with a new bully stick and a new antler as well. I know he may be a little sleepy Thursday evening, but I expect him to be his normal self Friday. I'm a little less worried now that so many of you have said it was a no big deal. You guys understand Fletcher is baby.

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Melissa, Henry's neuter was a piece of cake, and he had double incisions due to his undescended testicles. He was in the vet by 9 am, home with me by 5:00. He was a little sleepy that night, still playful. By the next day he was back to normal and it was difficult to keep him calm.
    I will keep your baby in my prayers for a quick surgery and faster recovery!
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck on Thursday. Oz, who was a real monster when he was neutered at a year of age, never needed the collar. He never paid any attention to his stitches, at least while I was around. I don't think he licked them while in his crate because I never noticed any redness or swelling. I never even took the collar home from the vet after surgery. Oliver never wore one either when he was neutered - no problems from either of my boys, or from my girls when they were spayed.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely used a cone on all the spays/neuters I have done on my own and the rescue dogs I have had through the years. The few lickers I have had I have requested a cone from the vet. It usually doesn't bother the dog.

Post Thanks / Like

None of my dogs have ever required a cone after spaying/neutering. You might want to wait before you spend your money.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a new member here on the website. My little cav Charlie is getting neutered on Tuesday. We are a bit nervous but we know we are in goods hand with our vet. I cannot imagine my puppy with a cone.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Kong Cone, mainly because I was hoping to avoid the bruises on my shins from Cody running into me with the Plastic cone . I kept it on him about 2 days but he really did not mess with his stitches much. The cone is very flexible so he was still able to get passed things and it really did not bother him much. I had a bit of a time finding one as the 2 major pet stores in our area did not carry it. Found it at one of the smaller independent stores. The other nice side it was only about $6.00.

Kong 001 by StacyandCody, on Flickr
    Mom to Cody (Tri) 2/12

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher didn't need the cone of shame but for a few days and even then only when I couldn't watch him. I was a little nervous about letting him not wear it at night when we were sleeping but I solved that but putting him in the bed with us I'm a pretty light sleeper and he likes to sleep like on my pillow. I love love love having him in the bed!!!!! My favorite is waking up in the morning to Mr. Monster (my son) joining us in the bed too for some morning cuddles. So far the only thing that REALLY sucks about having Fletcher neutered is keeping him out of the pool. My vet said at least a week maybe 10 days!!
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras