• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Raw Sweet Potato

Brian M

Hi

I haven't a clue about cooking or food but I do research what I feed the girls ,so my question is
can I give them a piece of raw sweet potato to chew on . ?

Thanks

Brian

I would think yes, because when you buy dehydrated sweet potato treats, they are not cooked first.

I've also made raw sweet potato treats for my guys and shared with friends, and no issues. They would have a lot of fiber so I'd probably start with a small amount and see how they do with them.

I give Fletcher raw sweet potatoes. My children love sweet potato french fries, I make them all the time. I slice them like fries and leave out a few slices for Fletcher, as treats. I have been reading a lot about feeding raw, and I'm just not ready to make the full jump yet. I perfer to give him fresh veggies and fruits as treats, so far his favs are green beans (frozen), melon, strawberries, sweet potatoes and carrots. Funny I have not read about sweet potatoes either, I just figured it was alright.

Melissa

Hi
Thank you Ladies .Melissa don,t forget blueberries, sprouts,banana and turnip .Also I add whitebait to their evening meal ,about 3-4 each .Any other ideas on
what people feed be as with their main meals or as treats .

Most people recommend that sweet potatoes are lightly cooked first - or dried. There are some stories on the internet of dogs dying after eating sweet potatoes...but hard to verify obviously. There are plenty of other raw veg that can be given.

NEVER let a dog have or get to raw potato skins, they have a toxin in them call SOLANINE which is very harmful and can be fatal to dogs. It affects their neurological system.

BTW for people, sweet potatoes are wonderful baked in the oven for about an hour 180C, they are really sweet!

Hi
Thank you Ladies .Melissa don,t forget blueberries, sprouts,banana and turnip .Also I add whitebait to their evening meal ,about 3-4 each .Any other ideas on
what people feed be as with their main meals or as treats .

Thanks, I allows forget about bananas and I almost always have them in the house. I feed kibble for meals, I'm still thinking about doing therapy work with Fletcher. My goal is to volunteer at a children's hospital, which Fletcher and I may not be cut out for.... We are only finishing our first class now, and he has to be over 1 yr old to take the test. In the US, therapy dogs cannot be fed raw. I think dogs need variety too, and spent a long time choosing a kibble, and commercial treats just are too numerous for me to look thur.

Melissa

Hi Nicki
Thanks for the info ,thankfully I peel all the veg and the SP would only be in a little chunk maybe once in a blue moon it was just
that I spotted them in Sainsburys this morning and thought maybe a pce of that of a night instead of a chunk of turnip might be
a little change for them .They are all clean and smelly after the groomers today they went at 9.30 and I collected them at 2.30,it
seems a shame they have to go walkies and get all muddy again ,oh well .
You are a mine of superb information.

I won't buy 'white' potatoes for us (humans) with any tinge of green on the skin. Nicki is right about the toxin Solanin. I think the green comes from the potatoes being exposed to too much light, and here in the U.S.A., grocery stores do not protect the potatoes from light. A potato skin with ~no~ green is perfect safe, and probably for dogs, too. But I only give Sophie a cooked bit.

Here is a link to the snopes site that validates it.http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/potato.asp

Back