• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sprayed by a skunk

Love my Cavaliers

Well, it finally happened. One of my dogs got into an encounter with a skunk and came out the loser. We live on an acre and a half of property - all fenced in - and I let the dogs out pretty much whenever they want to go out. Late Friday afternoon Oz was out by himself when I suddenly heard him just shreaking. I raced outside and he was rubbing his body around in the grass. I called him to me and then immediately smelled it. It is so foul! :yuk: I didn't want to let him wait outside before his bath in case the skunk was still around, so instead he stayed instead stinking up the house. We didn't have the right ingredients on hand in the quantity needed (hydrogen peroxide and baking soda) so another solution suggested was diluted vinegar and then a shampoo. He was such a docile dog in his bath. I think it must have been irritating his skin. He also must have gotten sprayed right in the face - that's the only place I smelled it on him. He let me really wash him like he's never done before and then he let me just cuddle him in the wet towel. The vinegar muted the smell enough until we were able to get the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda the next day, but there was no help for the smell in the house. We tried air fresheners, incense, scented candles. I swear I woke up every hour with my eyes burning from whatever chemical they spray, or maybe it was from all the chemicals I put in the air :lol:

Please tell me he's learned his lesson!!!!

Oh poor soul, that really does stink :( interesting about the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, I didn't know that. We use tomato ketchup or puree when they have rolled in animal dung! It doesn't stain the coat and gets rid of the smell.

Can you make up a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda as a room spray? Obviously removing everybody from the room first. I would normally suggest aromatherapy oils or even neutradol but not sure they would be strong. enough?

When I looked on the internet, the solution to get rid of the skunk smell was to use 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid soap (baby shampoo is best if you have it) and then to shampoo the dog with a pet shampoo after. It really worked. However, because Oz got sprayed right in his face, I was reluctant to really scrub around his eyes, so he's left with just a hint of "skunkiness" around that area.

Oh my goodness:grnyuk: poor baby and poor you and poor your house!! I'm glad you found something that worked tho. I'm pretty sure a dog would be sniffing a skunk in the behind!!!! Sorry only one joke. Hopefully you will air out quickly.

Oh no! Skunk is such a horrible smell. I also heard that tomato juice works. With all the baths he's getting, he'll be squeaky clean. If you have carpeting or fabric on your furniture, maybe you can sprinkle baking soda on overnight to absorb the smell and vaccum it up tomorrow.

Back