• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Murphy's not right

murphy's mum

Just came home for lunch, and there is something wrong with Murphy.

He seems agitated somehow. He wouldn't go out for a pee, with isn't normal, and now he's climbing all over me, as if he can't get close enough to me. He keeps whimpering, and his heart feels as though it's beating very fast. Not his usual happy self at all.

Off to give the vets a call.

Do hope he's ok Paula, definitely sounds like something is wrong. Some of mine have done this when they have been in pain :(

What did the vet say?

Can't get to speak to a vet, and first appointment is 16:50! Tried the open surgery but there was already 8 role waiting. Couldn't wait, so brought him home again. I then had to leave the poor boy to come back to work. Stuarts 60 mile away, and my inlaws are away on holiday.

I definitely think its pain related, he was pressing himself right into me.

I'm starting to regret moving vets as I feel they aren't available like the old one was. I moved because I felt my concerns about Misty having SM were being dismissed. The new vet referred her straight away, and I was so impressed. However they only do appointment 09:00-09:30 and 16:00-17:00. The do two open surgerys between 13:30-14:00 and 18:00-19:00. As for the out of hours well.... Misty had hemmoragic diarrhoea and I couldn't get hold of them. I ended up rushing her to the old vets at midnight to get lifesaving treatment!

I think eating some humble pie is in order, and re-register with the old vets. They were excellent in everyway, except they did not see the SM symptoms. As she get treated at Glasgow now, I'm hoping there won't be a problem.

I'll nip home after this service and check up on Murphy, feel guilty about leaving him until 16:50 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well I'm home and he's like a different dog. His tails wagging, and he rushed past me to get out.

Just hope the vet can shed some light on what's happened.

Geez, you know what. This is exactly the same symptoms as the night in June when he ripped his dew claw out!

We assumed then he was upset because we had been away for the weekend. And the elivated heart rate was because he'd ripped his dew claw out. I'll definitely need to tell the vet about that while I'm there.

Glad he's better, but what a roller coaster ride these dogs put us on. If only they could talk and we didn't have to keep guessing what is going on! Hope the vet can get to the bottom of this.

Wow, poor Murphy and poor you. I'm sure you don't know what to think. Personally, I would not use a vet or doctor who I could not have access to when I thought it was urgent. When Fletcher throw up a piece of fabric I just called to tell them I was on the way. They were super busy that day but they took him right in!

Please let us know what you find out.

Nothing solid to report. He was his usual waggy self at the vets. He manipulated Murphys legs, and put some pressure along his back. He never reacted at all. He also checked his glands, which were also fine.

He gave him a shot of Metacam and told me to keep an eye on him.

Yes, they are good at worrying us. The hubby flexed off early after hearing his "boy" wasn't well :)

The Metacam has definitely had an effect, he's very bouncy this morning.

Back