Thread: My dog wakes up yelping

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default My dog wakes up yelping

For the past few mornings my dog Charlie has woke up yelping. I have never heard him make this sort of yelp before and it is very distressing as it sounds like he is in a lot of pain. I jump out the bed and as soon as I touch him he stops and goes back to sleep snoring away as usual. He sometimes has problems with his legs. He has to be carried up the stairs. On the last visit to the vet she said his heart is healthy for his age (he will be 10 this year) but he may have arthritis. His legs have seized up and became very stiff in the past, lasting around 5-10 minutes. I thought this may be what was happening during sleep and causing the yelping, but like I said as soon as I clap him he is fine, so therefore I don't think it's that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear this - please take him back to the vets, dogs do not vocalise pain unless it is bad.

Is he on medication for the arthritis?

The alternative is that he is having some kind of night tremors but it would be strange that it is a the same time.

Also at his age he may be starting CCDS - similar to human alzheimers.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

No he is not on any medication. I just read the symptoms of CCDS and yes charlie is showing some symptoms of it He pants a lot at night and is very restless. I just put it down to him being too warm. For the past few weeks he has been getting us up through the night, and not always for the toilet, he just wants to wander around the house, which is unusual for him as he normally sleeps the whole night. He has also had a few accidents urinating in the kitchen which is not like him at all, he normally barks when he needs out.

Post Thanks / Like

Especially because he's been having accidents lately, it could well be CCDS or maybe he's had a mild stroke.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to take him to the vet. Only because some of the things you describe could be because he is in pain. I hope he is feeling better soon.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I did not see this earlier. Please see my earlier posts about Barkleigh's nightmares. We found out that he has a neurological disorder called REM Sleep Disorder. It has been almost totally cured by a few medications including melatonin and potassium bromide. It is supposedly rare, but you can find info on it. The doctor who treated him for deafness (and cured it) figured this out. It may be a form of seizures and thus needs to be treated to prevent damage. One sign of it is that you have to wake the dog up to stop the yelping. (Ours is more of a plaintive howl.) Feel free to contact me more about it at gay at gaycourter dot com
    Barkleigh's Mum