Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavalier carrier size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cavalier carrier size

Hey guys,

I was wondering what size/dimension carrier you own.My cavalier is 13 lbs and these are his dimensions 17.5L 6.5'' W. 9H. How much bigger should the bag be?? Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our Baby: Gatorade, Blenheim Cavalier, 5/9/2011
    Enjoys: People, playing catch me if you can bec. no one can, sleeping, chewing pants strings and doggy dieting (lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to say. Is your cavalier comfortable in it? I mean ideally a dog should be able to stand up and turn around in a carrier if there are spending any amount of time in it (say more than 30 minutes). If you are traveling and your cavalier will be in the carrier longer than that I personally would buy the biggest carrier allow for the space (say under a airline seat). Fletcher is very easy travel with he just sleeps. We went by car 6 hours with us last month and he was the best passenger I had.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about a carrier, that you would use for transporting your dog on trips, like on a plane, or in the car for a short trip, or a crate, meant for your dog to go in for longer periods of time? If that's an airline bag, that sounds like it might be the biggest you can get. I've never flown my cavalier, but if that is the size, it's unlikely he could stand in it, and I think that is one of the requirements for transporting your dog under the seat of the plane. If it is for flying, you might try calling the airline you will be using to find out the dimensions of the under seat area.

Post Thanks / Like

Even with it being an airline carrier, call the airline and check. Each airline is different.
    If this is used for a crate full time, it's way to small. But for outing I think it will be fine.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have used a few carriers (sherpa, a few minor brands, and sturdibag). The sherpa was "airline approved", it did NOT fit under the seat, and I had the stewardesses fussing at me the whole flight, I was very angry (United flight, reasonable sized aircraft 6 seats wide). I gave it away.

THe sturdibag is in my opinion the only bag worth owning. You can occasionally pick them up on sale, but they are definitely worth the full retail value. I have taken these on several airplanes, including a smaller jet that only 3 seats across. You need to be in the middle seat (more luggage room), but it has fit every single time. It slides under easily, just put the carrier on the floor, and slide it under the seat. And once you pull it out again the roof puffs up to give your dog more headroom. It also comes with a quality pad, and my dogs happily sleep in theirs (I do get odd looks from people when my bags start snoring though). They're also nice and lightweight, machine washable, and can be secured in a car using the seatbelt (slide the seatbelt through the side loops, and pull the seat belt out all the way to activate the child seat "locking" mode, very secure, but also soft in the event of a crash). I have no experience actually getting in an accident with one, so cannot speak to the actually safety of the dog, but I would imagine it is one of the better options in terms of safety. Cavaliers take the Large size (and it's usually advertised using a cavalier).

My sturdibags are 2 of the best purchases I have ever made.

Post Thanks / Like

No I mean the cloth kind where I can just put him in for an hour or 2 when going somewhere like this:http://www.wayfair.com/Bergan-Pet-Pr...0-BVP1018&PiID[]=5919430&PiID[]=5919436&gclid=CIjSqL798rECFUff4AodbwEAMw
    Enjoys: People, playing catch me if you can bec. no one can, sleeping, chewing pants strings and doggy dieting (lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the recommendation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soushiruiuma View Post
    I have used a few carriers (sherpa, a few minor brands, and sturdibag). The sherpa was "airline approved", it did NOT fit under the seat, and I had the stewardesses fussing at me the whole flight, I was very angry (United flight, reasonable sized aircraft 6 seats wide). I gave it away.

THe sturdibag is in my opinion the only bag worth owning. You can occasionally pick them up on sale, but they are definitely worth the full retail value. I have taken these on several airplanes, including a smaller jet that only 3 seats across. You need to be in the middle seat (more luggage room), but it has fit every single time. It slides under easily, just put the carrier on the floor, and slide it under the seat. And once you pull it out again the roof puffs up to give your dog more headroom. It also comes with a quality pad, and my dogs happily sleep in theirs (I do get odd looks from people when my bags start snoring though). They're also nice and lightweight, machine washable, and can be secured in a car using the seatbelt (slide the seatbelt through the side loops, and pull the seat belt out all the way to activate the child seat "locking" mode, very secure, but also soft in the event of a crash). I have no experience actually getting in an accident with one, so cannot speak to the actually safety of the dog, but I would imagine it is one of the better options in terms of safety. Cavaliers take the Large size (and it's usually advertised using a cavalier).

My sturdibags are 2 of the best purchases I have ever made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adelya21 View Post
    No I mean the cloth kind where I can just put him in for an hour or 2 when going somewhere like this:http://www.wayfair.com/Bergan-Pet-Pr...0-BVP1018&PiID[]=5919430&PiID[]=5919436&gclid=CIjSqL798rECFUff4AodbwEAMw
    I owned that grenn/teal one! But it's tiny, Guinness flew to Colorado in that when he was still a baby.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks from me as well - I hope I can get one of these delivered to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Adelya21 View Post
    Thank you for the recommendation!

Post Thanks / Like

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...ductId=2750635

This is the one I have in size large for short trips. Henry is still a peanut @ 8.5 months and around 9 pounds, and has room to grow.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11