• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier carrier size

Adelya21

Hey guys,

I was wondering what size/dimension carrier you own.My cavalier is 13 lbs and these are his dimensions 17.5L 6.5'' W. 9H. How much bigger should the bag be?? Thanks!

Its hard to say. Is your cavalier comfortable in it? I mean ideally a dog should be able to stand up and turn around in a carrier if there are spending any amount of time in it (say more than 30 minutes). If you are traveling and your cavalier will be in the carrier longer than that I personally would buy the biggest carrier allow for the space (say under a airline seat). Fletcher is very easy travel with he just sleeps. We went by car 6 hours with us last month and he was the best passenger I had.

Are you talking about a carrier, that you would use for transporting your dog on trips, like on a plane, or in the car for a short trip, or a crate, meant for your dog to go in for longer periods of time? If that's an airline bag, that sounds like it might be the biggest you can get. I've never flown my cavalier, but if that is the size, it's unlikely he could stand in it, and I think that is one of the requirements for transporting your dog under the seat of the plane. If it is for flying, you might try calling the airline you will be using to find out the dimensions of the under seat area.

Even with it being an airline carrier, call the airline and check. Each airline is different.
If this is used for a crate full time, it's way to small. But for outing I think it will be fine.

I have used a few carriers (sherpa, a few minor brands, and sturdibag). The sherpa was "airline approved", it did NOT fit under the seat, and I had the stewardesses fussing at me the whole flight, I was very angry (United flight, reasonable sized aircraft 6 seats wide). I gave it away.

THe sturdibag is in my opinion the only bag worth owning. You can occasionally pick them up on sale, but they are definitely worth the full retail value. I have taken these on several airplanes, including a smaller jet that only 3 seats across. You need to be in the middle seat (more luggage room), but it has fit every single time. It slides under easily, just put the carrier on the floor, and slide it under the seat. And once you pull it out again the roof puffs up to give your dog more headroom. It also comes with a quality pad, and my dogs happily sleep in theirs (I do get odd looks from people when my bags start snoring though). They're also nice and lightweight, machine washable, and can be secured in a car using the seatbelt (slide the seatbelt through the side loops, and pull the seat belt out all the way to activate the child seat "locking" mode, very secure, but also soft in the event of a crash). I have no experience actually getting in an accident with one, so cannot speak to the actually safety of the dog, but I would imagine it is one of the better options in terms of safety. Cavaliers take the Large size (and it's usually advertised using a cavalier).

My sturdibags are 2 of the best purchases I have ever made.

Thank you for the recommendation!
I have used a few carriers (sherpa, a few minor brands, and sturdibag). The sherpa was "airline approved", it did NOT fit under the seat, and I had the stewardesses fussing at me the whole flight, I was very angry (United flight, reasonable sized aircraft 6 seats wide). I gave it away.

THe sturdibag is in my opinion the only bag worth owning. You can occasionally pick them up on sale, but they are definitely worth the full retail value. I have taken these on several airplanes, including a smaller jet that only 3 seats across. You need to be in the middle seat (more luggage room), but it has fit every single time. It slides under easily, just put the carrier on the floor, and slide it under the seat. And once you pull it out again the roof puffs up to give your dog more headroom. It also comes with a quality pad, and my dogs happily sleep in theirs (I do get odd looks from people when my bags start snoring though). They're also nice and lightweight, machine washable, and can be secured in a car using the seatbelt (slide the seatbelt through the side loops, and pull the seat belt out all the way to activate the child seat "locking" mode, very secure, but also soft in the event of a crash). I have no experience actually getting in an accident with one, so cannot speak to the actually safety of the dog, but I would imagine it is one of the better options in terms of safety. Cavaliers take the Large size (and it's usually advertised using a cavalier).

My sturdibags are 2 of the best purchases I have ever made.

Thanks from me as well - I hope I can get one of these delivered to me!

I had to look up where you live. If you are having trouble getting one, there are retailers in Belgium, and I could post one from here if you purchased it.

I was in NZ for 6 months and I found island life too remote. I guess Malta isn't as far from the rest of the world, but the island is tiny, do you ever feel like it's too isolating?

Back