Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puppy sprained leg?

Post Thanks / Like

Default puppy sprained leg?

Hi all,

last night my puppy fell out of my arms from 4 foot high.

He has woken up and is limping. He can put a bit of weight on his injured leg so i assume it isn't broken

He is 9 weeks old. Do you think it is worth getting it checked at the vets or will it get a lot better over the next couple of days or so?

He isn't making any noises so I don't think he is in pain

Thanks for your help

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would definitely take him to the vet. They'll be able to give him NSAIDs, and can let you know if it's broken or sprained. Your puppy is probably in a lot of pain right now, but is afraid to show it.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me I'd get him checked out. Limping means he is in discomfort with it. For peace of mind get someone to check him over.
    He may just need painkillers for a few days....better to be safe than sorry.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

I would take him in if he were mine. Better to be safe. If he's in discomfort they can give some pain meds.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a vet visit. Limping means pain. Hope he's ok--come back and let us know how he's doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree I would also be calling my vet to come in. Everybody feels awful the first time we make an "unexpected" trip to the vet, but I'm sure he will be fine. I hope you are not blaming yourself accidents happen. I throw a sofa pillow at my daughter one time (we were playing) and she ended up with 3 stitches in her forehead!!!!!!! It happens. Please let us know how he is.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

thanks so much for your help and support

I have been in bits, have only had him a week and for this to happen already is horrible.

There is no major improvement since yesterday.

I let him out of his crate this morning and he was running around playing, however i have put him in his crate as his leg needs rest.

How long should i wait until xray? We have an appointment at the vets on Friday for this 10 week jab. Should i wait until then?

Thanks

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Call your vet. See what they say. Personally, I wouldn't wait till Friday. I'd be there this morning. They can have a look at him, they may just give him some anti-inflammatories, and/or painkillers. Then they can reassess on Friday and decide if an X-ray is needed.

Puppies get dropped pretty frequently, and broken legs are common with this sort of accident. If he needs treatment for his fall, why wait?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soushiruiuma View Post
    Call your vet. See what they say. Personally, I wouldn't wait till Friday. I'd be there this morning. They can have a look at him, they may just give him some anti-inflammatories, and/or painkillers. Then they can reassess on Friday and decide if an X-ray is needed.

Puppies get dropped pretty frequently, and broken legs are common with this sort of accident. If he needs treatment for his fall, why wait?
    Forgot to mention the important part. I took him to the vets yesterday afternoon and the vet said there is no obvious fracture and that it is tender.
    She gave him so painkillers

I think i will wait another day the reassess.
    Just hope he get better soon as he is dying to run around the garden and play

Thanks

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I would call back and ask for an anti inflammatory. He's obviously in discomfort. Why make him suffer. If they refuse, it may be time to look for a new vet.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11