Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Love my Bentley, but......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandelos View Post
    We can't begin to describe how much of a convenience it is that Skippy is litter-box trained. We put it right next to this crate in the laundry room, and he heads over and does his #1 or #2 whenever he needs to.
    Henry came to us litter trained. I though we were the only strange ones, lol.
    We have been transitioning him away from the corn litter. So far no accidents at all and we are over a month. Do you take Skippy outside to potty? We were doing both.
    ~Shari mom to
    Henry, black and tan 12-07-11

Post Thanks / Like

when oliver was just a little pup..i let him out into our fenced in back yard one night...i was in my pjammas..bare foot.
    and as i was sitting there waiting and waiting ...a thought popped into my head...i saw the gate open earlier... oh #*$* ...i RACED outside down the steps and into the back yard.

of course..gate was still opened..puppy was gone.
    its dark..im in my jammies and bare foot...i went running through the gate and into the front yard..looking around..for a black and white dog..

i went running down the street...(culdisac) and saw him in a neighbours yard downt he block.
    unfortuantly..he saw me...and ran the other way... i kept after him..he stopped ..turned around..saw me...ran away ...i cahsed him about two blocks..this time in tears because in my teenage mind i idn't know if id EVER catch up to him.

ended well...

ironicly enough.. oliver turned into a dog..that if you ever let go of the leash...he woudl stop in his tracks..look at you. you could walk (down the beach or pier) and he would stand put..with this look on his face like 'where are you going? uhh YOU FORGOT ME!" lol
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

I had a dog that used to let herself out the front door and wander the neighborhood for two hours, and she got hit by a car. I never let Luke off the leash completely. I let him go with a long line with once. He spotted a creek, and he took off down a steep hill. He did stop and wait for me once he got to the creek, because he will only swim if I throw a ball in for him to get. I will let go of his long line if I am letting him in to swim and get his ball, but otherwise, I don't let him go anymore. If he is getting the ball, he can be trusted, but otherwise, I don't trust him anymore for right. We're going to work on that. One of my other dogs, I've never really worked on her recall, and she is trustworthy. I took her to lure coursing, and she refused to chase the lure, just kept coming to me. I'd like to try Luke, but I can't trust him, since there is a pond out by the one side of the field.

Post Thanks / Like

hehe, my cavalier is a Bentley too. he has the canine version ADHD. I am hoping he will gain some brain cells the older he gets.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time Lady is good with recall, but if there is any kind of distraction at all, I have no hope of getting her to listen. Even on our walks, when it gets dark and those little white flies come out she will try and catch each one that passes. I guess its her prey instinct that comes first, so I would never trust her off leash somewhere not completely safe. On walking trails we go off leash and she never strays more than a few feet from me, but Id be worried that if we were near a busy area and she saw a butterfly, she'd be gone and obviously has no street sense for cars. Every other basic command I've been able to teach on my own, but recall is definitely the one I'm having the hardest time with
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I am not the only one dealing with a distracted cavalier. Between Fletcher and Mr. Monster (my 4 yr old son) I just about got lost in my own neighborhood the other evening. Both boys were all over the place Fletcher pulling on the leash this way to check out what the neighborhood kids were doing. Mr. Monster stopping to look for turtles by the lake. It was like one big ADHA ramp around instead of a nice evening walk with my son and dog. I swear if I could train just one of them I would tie them together and I'd be good

I'm kidding I would tie my sweet baby Fletcher to my Monster son I just can't stop maybe its contagious....hahahahhaaaa
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

I have been extremely fortunate - my husband is between jobs and has had plenty of down time for training until new job begins. In addition, he has patience like you've never seen! They mastered sit, lay down, paw and stay in a matter of an hour and he's kept up with repeating it non-stop for the past 6 weeks. On the leash walking in the neighborhood we practiced from day 1 her not being allowed to pay cars or other distractions any attention and to keep walking right to our side looking straight ahead. Now, I will admit she doesn't listen to me nearly as well. She minds her father wonderfully!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by My Henry Boy View Post
    Henry came to us litter trained. I though we were the only strange ones, lol.
    We have been transitioning him away from the corn litter. So far no accidents at all and we are over a month. Do you take Skippy outside to potty? We were doing both.
    We don't have a regular schedule to take him outside, but when he is out, he does usually do his thing like other dogs.
    Last edited by dandelos; 25th August 2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Wow -- my Bosco must be missing a gene! He has no interest in squirrels, cats or even the rabbit that hops across the yard. He just turned 1 and he is fine for walks on lead in our neighborhood, or off lead when we hike trails in the park.. He's my first and only CKC and I didn't realize how lucky I was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joandesan View Post
    Wow -- my Bosco must be missing a gene! He has no interest in squirrels, cats or even the rabbit that hops across the yard. He just turned 1 and he is fine for walks on lead in our neighborhood, or off lead when we hike trails in the park.. He's my first and only CKC and I didn't realize how lucky I was.
    Oh, my. You have no idea how lucky.....