Thread: Trainer viewpoint: front-clip-versus-back-clip-harnesses

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Trainer viewpoint: front-clip-versus-back-clip-harnesses

Great trainer post on using front clip harnesses and why they often work better than collars or back clip harnesses for walking your dog:

http://www.andreaarden.com/dog-train...lip-harnesses/

I use front clip harnesses for all but one dog and they are fantastic. We also use one for the very large alsatian belonging to my partner. They are so helpful for large or small dogs.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

We have the Easy Walk harness for Sophie, and it is wonderful. It's the only thing she won't pull against. She still tries, but it stops her quickly and is very gentle

Post Thanks / Like

Agree completely! I use the easy walk for the puppy and it really stops her pulling without hurting her.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Because it's been so insanely hot this summer, and Fletcher has been getting plenty of exercise swimming instead of walking we have lost a little leash skills. We go to puppy class and he is fine there, inside but out walking in the neighborhood has been a different story. I was going to ask the trainer/teacher about leash pulling at our next class but I'm going to go ahead a get an Easy Walk and give it a try. Fletcher is getting good at basic commands like sit, down and recall but that cavalier ADD/OCD thing kicks in outside anywhere around kids playing. I know he just needs more time but if the Easy Walk will help I'm going to try it.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

MomObvious - make sure it fits him properly. Our son and DIL have one for their 55-lb dog and she said it never really helped. I took a look and it wasn't fitted properly on the dog. I tightened a few straps that were loose, and it works much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Great article. I love our front clip, really helped us Reinforce leash training and is now always there as support if she gets too excited in new places.