• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Current recommended vaccination protocol

Please update me on what the current recommended vaccination protocol is. My 1 year old and 4 year old Cavaliers are due to be seen by our vet and will need vaccinations. What is the current school of thought on the need, safety and frequency of these vaccinations ?

Any imput is welcomed !

There is no single protocol so we can't tell you what 'the' recommendations are but many would follow Dr Jean Dodds' recommendations or the vet associations.

Going by the ones we suggest here on CavTalk: Your one year old needs the one year booster. The 4 year old would likely need a booster as well if you use the every three year protocol. You could titre the 4 year old but that isn't always entirely accurate. I would never give annual boosters for the core vaccines -- only the essential booster at age 1, then at 4 and again at 7 and then I do not vaccinate dogs older than 7 at all with core vaccine. That fits the Dodds suggestions (she doesn't really have a strict 'protocol' per se as she always gives the caveat that every case is different and a vet may have a reason for doing vaccination less frequently (but *probably* should not have a reason to do them MORE frequently than every 3 years).

This is her note (my underline):

Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It's a matter of professional judgment and choice.

This is also the recommendation of one of the main US vet associations so really any vet insisting on annual vaccinations is way behind on current thinking.

Rabies -- depends on your area and what is *legally* required.

There are a variety of shorter term (annual) vaccines that may be recommended depending on what is risky in your area. You need to discuss risk with your own vet -- no one can give professional advice on that and each area differs. (y)

I agree with the core vacs then boosters at 1, 4, and 7 years old. That was my plan with Fletcher. Rabies is required every 3 years here too. However, my vet also recommends bordetella annually but I have read sometimes semi-annual vac for bordetella needed. I have Fletcher in obedience classes and plan to continue them so. I have been meaning to ask my vet this question. However, do any of you have an opinion of this?

I first read the information from Dr Dodds perhaps 15 years ago and it shook me rigid. Then I started to hear about dogs in the UK presumed vaccine damaged, so stopped having boosters after the usual 15 month ones. I have had numerous dogs exposed to the diseases we vaccinate against in the UK over all those years and not one has ever shown signs of being affected, despite being constantly exposed to the risk. Almost all of mine have been frequently shown, travelling to venues using public transport and walking on pavements. Once at the show they have of course mixed with large numbers of dogs, some of which may have been carrying or incubating disease.

In short: I have the first set of UK puppy injections, then the first booster one year later, then that's it. I used to pay a lot of money for titers to check for levels of immunity. As these were constantly high in all the dogs, I stopped doing those annually too, only having them checked at 2 years post vaccine, then at the age of seven. None of the results have given me or the vet cause for concern.

Back