• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Murphy's still not right

murphy's mum

Well after Murphy's strange episode a fortnight ago, he's still not right. He had been doing fine after the Metacam injection he got then.

But last night we put them to bed and he flipped out again. It was the same as the night in June, when he ripped his dew claw out, and very similar to his episode a fortnight ago during the day. He gets frantic, and just wants to be held. He scrapped the babygate like a dog possessed, whining, then started biting the gate. We could hear him panting all the way upstairs. When we went down he was covered in drool.

I let him outside and he peed again, and pooped, so I thought that's all he needed. When I tried to put him back into the kitchen he just refused to budge. He was just leaning on my leg. Coaxed him into the kitchen, sent him to bed with a biscuit and went upstairs, but only lasted 15 minutes before he started again. He dug the wash basket out from the corner and was in behind it until he seen me. We ended up taking them both upstairs for half an hour, where al he did was move between Stuart and I for cuddles.

Eventually put him back to bed again, he scrapped a little but then all went quiet. Heard him again at around 4, but he settled down again.

Combined with his weirdness the other week of trying to climb onto me whining, I just don't know what to think. The vet thought last week his back might be playing up, hence the lunchtime behaviour. He had x-rays done before that didn't find anything, but I know that's not conclusive. We have an appointment at 6 tonight so hoping we get some answers.

I still wondered if it was a behaviour issue, but he's had the same routine for the last 4 years, since we got Misty. I'm so confused, and just want to get to the bottom of it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be concerned as well. Poor baby! The drooling and the whining part would make me think its pain but its very obvious he was stressed. If he were mine I would continue to look for a medical reason for this. Especially if his whole route has been the same and he does this out of the blue.

I'm definitely thinking its pain related. This is a big worry too, especially if we can't find anything obvious with him. He's like a yo-yo he's so up and down.

This time last year we were getting our referral to Glasgow to get Misty MRI scanned to confirm suspected SM. SM is now on my mind for Murphy, either that or disc problems. That's why he was x-rayed before. But he recovers so quickly after these strange episodes. My thoughts are that if he was having disc problems, he'd be more subdued for longer, and not show an interest in playing etc. I could be wrong of course never having had a poorly dog before Misty.

We'll just have to see what the vet thinks, but I want more than an injection for him this time.

So sorry Murphy is having these odd sessions -- it is so frustrating when you can't pinpoint anything obvious. If it is SM or disk related, the metacam would likely help til it wears off. With a lot of disk problems, only an MRI will clearly reveal what is going on but there are xrays and then other scans that can be done first. I think you likely are dealing with pain and/or something neurological.

Given the drooling, I'd wonder if it is at all possible he is getting into something toxic -- pain on the walls, cleaning fluid on the floor or furniture, snail/slug pellets or houseplants or garden plants that might be poisonous...? Disk and SM pain can come and go and cause odd behaviours (Leo has started a new one where he just suddenly sits :( ). Think of human back pain; you might not be bothered at all except when you turn a certain way.

Given the drooling, I'd wonder if it is at all possible he is getting into something toxic -- pain on the walls, cleaning fluid on the floor or furniture, snail/slug pellets or houseplants or garden plants that might be poisonous...?

I don't think so, I have to keep such a close eye out for things Misty's likely to eat, I'm constantly watching them while we're out. We don't use weed killer, ant gel, or slug repellant in the garden, as it's all paved. The house hasn't been painted lately, but it's all Dulux paint that's been used, no where is left that hasn't been painted by us. As for furniture polish, well, my house is a little dusty at the moment :cool:, and when I clean the kitchen floor I always let it dry before allowing the dogs back in, and it's not been done since last weekend anyways :rolleyes: I really must get on top of the housework :D

Off to the vets now, so will update soon.

Vet's of the opinion that it's a physical problem, and not just a behaviour issue. She agree's that although his symptoms are hugely different from Misty, SM is still top of the list, followed by a spinal problem.

She's going to call Glasgow tomorrow, and stress that he needs seen as soon as possible. I just hope the insurance is as helpful. Misty needed pre-authorization for her MRI, and that took 7 weeks to come through, we heard the day before we were going. If Murphy needs in as soon as, then I doubt there will be time for pre-auth :(

Not sure what happens is the insurance doesn't pre-auth the treatment, whether Glasgow will need paid from us while we're up. We don't have the funds to pay for an MRI scan without the insurance.

Hi Paula

Rosie still gets problems with her discs but it comes on suddenly we could be playing ball and shes running after it then suddenly stops yelps
and runs to me for comfort ,so of course we stop then care for her for around two weeks with no games lots of rest and small walks on a lead,
and a Vet Visit for an overall physical .
Then she's fine again could be 3- 6 moths before the next episode and when it happens we just manage her as before and she tells us by her,
they all have their own quirks and sometimes its hard to figure the reason but I know you like all of us are constantly mointoring them so good
luck and hopefully a swift decision and ending to poor Murphys problem .

Best Wishes

Brian

So sorry your Murphy is having all these mystery problems. I hope the vets can get to the bottom of it all soon. Sending good wishes from far away to you and Murphy.

Called AXA just now. The lady was great, no mention of a pre-authorisation needed. I've to send a claim in for last night, along with a full history. The bill was only £28 so claim will be rejected. But it will be on record for when the claim comes in from Glasgow.

Just need to wait to hear from Glasgow now.

If Monty's problem is CM/SM, his episodes could be pain/discomfort related to changes in air pressure, which seems to be quite common in CM/SM dogs, and even in dogs with just CM. August has been a nightmare for sudden changes in pressure - in my area next Thursday, for example, the pressure is set to go up 17 millibars in the course of the day. Even Aled, who has few CM/SM symptoms so far, is getting a bit scratchier - he scratches his head very slowly as if to say 'Something odd's happening up there but I'm not sure what!' Monty's need to either be cuddled or crawl behind things could also indicate pain.

I do hope Glasgow can help.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Lol it's Murphy :D

But yea agree about the air pressure, Misty has SM and has been very scratchy these last 3 weeks.

It's a waiting game at the moment, but hopefully not for long.

I am with AXA. As far as I know if you can’t pay the vet/neurologist on the day in full you will need a Pre-Authorisation. Unless Glasgow agree to wait for the claim to come through. And I doubt that very much not without Pre-Authorisation.

And the claim for the £28 shoudn't be rejected as it should go towards your £75 excess. You really have to be on the ball with AXA. I was pulling my hair out last year. I had to do all the chasing and investigating. All the advisers tell you a different thing. One was telling me i didn't have to fill out another form after the Pre-Authorisation, another one said that the vet had to fill in another form another said that it just needs faxing. My vet faxed it twice and only when I queried it with two different advisers I found out that it was being looked at as a new claim because the vet didn't put on the form that this was the bill for the original Pre-Authorisation. My Pre-Authorisation took 7 days to come through and thats what they tell you so 7 weeks is not expectable. You really have to stand your ground with them in the end I talked to 5 different people in one day and the complains department telling them that because of you I will have to have my dog pts next time as my vet won't exept any Pre-Authorisation from you anymore. My vet had the money within 3 days and they also paid my money straight away.

Last edited:
Hi

Received from AXA on Saturday a C/e for Daisy's operation on the 10 th so it seems they are paying out a bit quicker. Axa seemed to have sublet the pet
insurance side to a company called Connect so I normally moan at them that I will complain to AXA about the bad record of settlement there is now since they have been involved ,probably makes absolutely no difference though.

Sorry to hear that poor Murphy is having more problems Paula :( this is so reminiscent of Rupert - so sadly I suspect CM/SM too.

IN the past I didn't have to get preauthoriastion letters for Glasgow, but check with them. Just took 2 ins claim forms and the policy schedule, I presume they 'phone the insurers themselves? I have to pay the consultation but they claim the MRI direct from the insurer.

Our air pressure is changing by as much as 20mb in 24 hours like Kate, and I'm having bad problems with Kayleigh because of it.

Do hope you get booked in soon and get some answers.

I can't help with insurance questions, but just wanted to say that I hope Murphy starts feeling better soon and he can get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan soon.

Awe..how hard this must be for him..and for you as well. I don't know what to say other than I sure will be praying things improve. Sending you a ~hug~

Well he acted up last night too, 15 minutes after going to bed. He wasn't frantic or overly upset, so in not sure if the attention he received on Sunday night triggered the behaviour or not.

Any news from Glasgow Paula?

Just picked up on the drool comment - Kayleigh drools terribly, her beautiful white chest is now pink :( Vet can't find any other reason for it.

I was up last night with one dog who was vomiting and one dog who had diarrhea. At least the vomiting was on a hardwood floor - not carpet - and Oliver told me he had to go outside all three times. But I was thinking that these dogs are like my kids who are now adults. I don't like to get up at night with them, but I gladly do it and then since they were both so clearly not feeling well, I brought them both into bed with me and kicked my hubby out. Both are better today after a little chicken broth and rice.

This is just all to say that I empathize with you Paula about Murphy. I hope you hear from Glascow soon and can get to the bottom of it. There's nothing worse than the not knowing.

Back