• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear chewing???

cpell009

So since her ears have been long enough, one of Lady's favourite chew toys is her EAR. I think the latest bout of ear chewing must of happened while she was in her crate, because I dont let her do it when Im around. Honestly if I didnt know any better I would say someone chopped her hair off with scissors its almost a perfect straight edge - but unless someone broke into my place and all they did was cut her ear hair I think thats rather unlikely. I am SOOOO SAD that her ears are so uneven now, you can see in the pictures below that she took off almost an inch on one side. She has sooo many different chew toys so it isnt an issue of her having nothing else to play with. :( Have any of you had this problem, too???

7874170742_544ef2839b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

7874170544_d15bdc4c19.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
7874171822_78f53e4df5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I have not had that problem but you could try that bitter apple stuff. Its made for hot spots, but we do use it on other things. Like the bottom stair!!!! I would hate to do that tho I always try to find other ways to get her to stop. Maybe a snood????? Or maybe if you just cut her ears by the time it grows back she will forget chewing them is fun?

Does she get food on her ears? If so you might want to try a snood when feeding. My guys (knock on wood) have never chewed on their hears, but I always use a snood when feeding them.

I have a snood but dont really use it because I use really small bowls and dry kibble, it just seems to be more a fixation thing - when she starts doing it she cant stop. I use the snood when I catch her chewing the ears, but dont want to leave it on her the whole time shes in the crate and cant be supervised. I do remember my breeder mentioning one of her dogs chews on another dogs ears, but she didnt say that it chewed on its own. Oh well, there could be worse problems I guess!! I was really loving her long ears though :(

Back