Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Finding a Breeder in the NYC Area.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Finding a Breeder in the NYC Area.

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and am currently on the search for my first Cav. I am hoping to get a puppy sometime next Spring. I have done quite a bit of research and I understand the importance of buying from a reputable breeder. I am most concerned about getting a healthy pup. I feel overwhelmed looking at so many breeder sites.

I'm hoping one of you could help me out. I live in NYC and am willing to travel a couple hours. Anyone have any advice for me? Perhaps you bought your puppy from a breeder around the NYC area. Please let me know. Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sent you a PM of several very reputable breeders. All show and have wonderful dogs & healthy dogs. I haven't heard of health issues with any of their dogs. If they are not able to help you, they would have some great referrals for you.
    Last edited by Lani; 28th August 2012 at 04:47 PM.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd recommend talking to breeder Anne Eckersley who has been extensively involved with the clubs and working to set up a CKCS breeder health info repository -- she is Chadwick Cavaliers and easily found with a google. She can likely confirm the bona fides of any breeders who want to check out or can give you some names. The breeder Laura Lang in Ohio would likely do the same. We do have extensive guides to puppy buying here, with what to ask to see, and health results you should expect a breeder to be able to show you, and you need to follow through ion all those things -- see the list on the home page in the right hand column. I know any good breeder will tell you that you MUST regardless of any recommendation from anyone, including them, ask such questions and get such information directly yourself.

Please be very cautious as there are some major scam artists around the NYC area and lots of puppy mill and poor quality Irish import cavaliers around the east coast. Generally the better the price, the more questionable the breeder.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I'd recommend talking to breeder Anne Eckersley who has been extensively involved with the clubs and working to set up a CKCS breeder health info repository -- she is Chadwick Cavaliers and easily found with a google. ...
    I concur re: that. Anne is president of Cavaliers of the Northeast, so she is up on most all breeders and current litters. http://www.chadwickspaniels.com/
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so so much. I will be looking into these breeders and giving them a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I'd recommend talking to breeder Anne Eckersley who has been extensively involved with the clubs and working to set up a CKCS breeder health info repository -- she is Chadwick Cavaliers and easily found with a google.
    Anne was one of my 3 recommendations of reputable show breeders in this area. I know several of Anne's dogs and they are gorgeous healthy dogs. I also went to her house last summer for a NY Cavalier Meet Up that she hosted. She was great! And I got to meet a bunch more of her lovely dogs when i was there. I'm so bummed I cannot make it this year to the meet up she is hosting.
    Lani

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A cavalier meet up would be great fun–I bet loads of people go to that!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the NYC area, but had my dog flown in from Texas. HOw did you hear of a cavalier meet up? I would love to be part of that! I walk Bosco all over Staten Island, NY and have not yet met another CKC and I've had him about 1 year. Please let me know.

Thanks.!

Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joandesan View Post
    I live inIslandYC area, but had my dog flown in from Texas. HOw did you hear of a cavalier meet up? I would love to be part of that! I walk Bosco all over Staten Island, NY and have not yet met another CKC and I've had him about 1 year. Please let me know.

Thanks.!

Joan
    Hi Joan, I use to live on Staten Island and still have family and friends there!
    Last edited by Sydneys Mom; 31st August 2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

go to www.meetup.com to find the meet-up. There are about 600+ people in the meet-up group. (not all go to all meet ups!)
    Lani